Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Catastrophic error!?

Catastrophic error!?

[ Edited ]

Hi Folks,

I have a user in our office using Act 18 and Office 2013.

Today we received the following error:   

creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {741BEEFD-AEC0-84AF-4F61DF5526} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 8000ffff Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0-8000FFFF(E_Unexpected)))

This happens when I click on a contact email hoping to launch Outlook (like it used to work)

Not much in the kb to figure it out.

Any direction would be fantastic.

He's on Windows 7.

Cheers,
Brian

Re: Catastrophic error!?

[ Edited ]

Hi Brian.

Sorry to hear about the issue. 

First few things I would like you to check is is regarding permissions, Is Act or Outlook Running with admin rights? if you could ensure that they are both running at the same level, and try running both as Admin (Right click desktop icon - Run as Administrator)

Would you also be able to try Write - Letter to see if that will cause an error?

I would also like to ensure a reinstall of Office has not been preformed recently?

If you could please let me know the results!

Hi Horn,

Thank you for the reply. Definitely running Outlook and Act as administrator.

We just reinstalled Office then Act yesterday because of yet another previous issue.

I'm going to call support now that they are open again after the July 4th holiday.

I had posted a message in hopes I could get it going. Smiley Sad

The same message was received about not being able to run the program and then the exact same error message.

So frustrating!

But, I do thank you for replying.

Cheers,

Brian

Bronze Elite Contributor

Here is a link to an article that might be similar so I have posted the link below

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23311/~/error%3A-error-retrieving-the-com-class-factory-fo...