Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cant open new database

Copper Contributor

Cant open new database

Im trying to setup Premium 2010 for the first time. When opening the database I just created a message appears: The database you are opening must be updated to a newer version of ACT! IT prompts me to update. I did. It unzips the files and updates. Then the message appears again. And again. Also, during the email setup wizard, the only email option I get is Internet Mail. Outlook does not appear as an option to use to set up email. Please help.

Copper Contributor

Re: Cant open new database

This is obviously software not designed for me. I am a small home based business with 2 people that need to keep track of their clients and emails together. We had ACT at the old job. But Im not a I.T. professional. I cant afford one. I cant install this properly. I wont pay for support. Why should I? I just bought this. I get no answers. Im done.

Silver Contributor

Honestly, Ken, you gave us an hour.

What version of office are you running?

Can you open the ACT demo database?

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

I apologize for yesterday's frustration. I do want ACT. Ive used 2009 Premium already. Starting my own company, I want it again. Problem is, new computers with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010. I think there is no current compatibility with the new Outlook. I have 2010 Premium now, which I understand does work with W7. So here's the conundrum. Do I abandon Outlook 2010? Or wait for Premium 2011? And why does the database keep wanting to update to a newer version of ACT? I have the newest version available already. 

Copper Contributor

And I dont know if I can open the demo database because I uninstalled ACT yesterday to try an reinstall.  But I havent reinstalled yet, Im going to wait for an answer to the Outlook dilemma first. 

Employee

As long as it isn't the 64 bit version of Outlook 2010 it will be compatible with 2011. Whether you should downgrade office or upgrade Act would be a matter of preference and what makes the most business sense.

For why it keeps prompting you to update, once you get Act reintalled, go to ActDiag (start -> run ActDiag) and go to the database list, check to see if the version of your DB is the same as the one you have installed (Help -> about act). If so, right click on it and try the maint options, including rebuild schema. Try to open again after that, if it fails try the demo. 

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

Ok, when I go to Help, About ACT, click on database information it says: ' An attempt was made to access the framework without being logged onto a database. I must be logged onto a database first" . I ran actdiag and did all the maintanence options as well. Does this help in identifying the problem?

Copper Contributor

I also tried creating a new database. This gives the same message about needing an updated version of ACT. Now this could be a problem too. I have Windows 7 64 bit on my c drive. I have Vista 32 bit on my d drive. Would this cause the problem?

Employee

The two O/S's could certainly be an issue. Are you using both of them?

The fact we're getting errors trying to access options in the help menu while not even logged into a db make me think it may just be a botched isntall, I'd remove, reboot and reinstall and see if that resolves it.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator