Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cant open 2007 database with version 2008

Cant open 2007 database with version 2008

My company recently bought a new version of Act (2008 (10.0). We currently have 2007 installed. I began un-installing and installing the new version on Friday...got it all installed but it will not open our current database file to convert. Is this a common problem? Do I need to just create a brand new database and then import the information in from the older version? I'm not sure what I am doing wrong here. I never had any problems converting the other versions when we purchased them. Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cant open 2007 database with version 2008

Yes...cant remember what the error says now. It comes up with the user/password dialog, when you click ok it keeps saying that the specified file doesnt exist, but you can open the file no problem with 2007

I'd need the exact error to have a chance at telling you what the cause it.

Can you open another database on the same computer?

Well...I didnt try that. I dont think we have another one. We might have an older one. We usually back up and copy the database before upgrading in case of disaster...

Oh...I will try that. Im at home now, but will try that when I go in on Monday. I am also wondering...I am trying to just open the .pad file from the server drive. Should I be copying the .pad file to the local drive first?

Doesn't matter, but I think you've just found the issue... you should do the conversion on the server

Ok...will do that on Monday. One more question. I was reading around on the Act website and it was saying that you are supposed to copy the .pad file from the server to each local drive on each workstation...is that true? Before I just told the workstations to just use the .pad file from the server drive. Thank you for all you help

Both work... doesn't matter to much for most users.

Having the PAD file local can make it easier for the users to find and means you don't have to map the server drive