Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot send email templates or do mail merge

Cannot send email templates or do mail merge

Hello,

I have Act! Premium v 18

Outlook 2013

Windows 10

I have Outlook synced with Act, and have created a couple of email templates. However, when I go to send an email template to a contact, the loading screen pops up and then disappears without sending the email. 

I got the same result when trying to run a Mail Merge: Went through all the options, then clicked finish....and nothing happens. No email received at email address of the selected contact.

I have tried running both Outlook & Act as Administrator and that made no difference.

Thanks,

Kevin B

Administrator

Re: Cannot send email templates or do mail merge

Hi Kevin,

I would suggest running though the email system setup again to check everything is properly detected, and outlook is set as the email editor. Tools > Preferences > Email & Outlook Sync > E-Mail System Setup

Let us know how you get on.

Yes I have gone through the email setup twice - everything is selected correctly.  

The calendar is synced and emails even attach to their contacts in Act if I send from Outlook. I just can't do any mail merges or send templates from Act.

Administrator

Hi Kevin,

The issue could be caused by a number of reasons.

Does the issue occur on all other templates?
Does the issue occur on other databases, or windows users?
Is your Antivirus or Firewall configured for Act? Try temporarily disabling to test. http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25125

It may also be worth re-registering redemption.dll, the steps for this are detailed in the following article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28237
Additionally the steps in the following article for re-creating a damaged Normal.dot file would be worth trying: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13569/

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your response.

1. The issue does occur on all templates I've tried

2. I only have 1 database and 1 windows user

Tried the Redemption.dll solution - no effect. I haven't been able to send less than OR more than 25 emails via mail merge.

The Normal.dot file solutions seem to be for people whose Word software aren't showing the add-in. I have no issues with the add-in in Word, being able to edit templates etc. 

I just attempted a mail merge, selecting a group of contacts. When I clicked Finish to send the Mail merge, I got the popup progress bar, but the bar stayed blank and then disappeared a moment later without sending any of the emails.

Administrator

Please can you create a new database and a few test contacts to try the mail merge feature in? If the error also occurs in this, try creating a new Windows user and run the test again on another new database.

I would suggest still following the steps for the Normal.dot file as it can also affect outlook behind the scenes. There may also be a NormalEmail.dot file, which the same steps should be applied to.

So I can send emails now by clicking on an email address.

But mail merge is not working, period. 

Here's what happens:

1. Choose a contact

2. Go to "Write" tab and select "Email from template" 

3. Select template, click OK

4. 1st time - Progress bar pops up, disappears without sending anything

2nd time - Progress bar pops up, does the "Merging 1 of 1", progress bar starts filling, and then...Act! crashes.

Always happens in that order.

Same happens when attempting  mail merges with templates.

Happens with both new templates and the ones that came with Act.

Bronze Super Contributor

Do you have an email address in the main email field?

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Bronze Elite Contributor

If you have not done so run a repair in MS office, this often fixes odd situations like this and is well worth trying.

There is also a utility hiding in the installed ACT files called Act.Outlook.Repair which is worth running.

Ran both repairs.

Then opened up Act! and Outlook (both running as administrator). Sent off one email with template without any issues.

THEN I tried to do a mail merge to 30 contacts. Same problem as before - first time it does nothing, second time it starts to work and then crashes. 

Then I tried to send just a single email again - same problem is back too. 

So it managed to work once...but still broken.