Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot open shared ACT database, but it opens from File menu

Copper Super Contributor

Cannot open shared ACT database, but it opens from File menu

Strange thing happening on 2 computers on the local network accessing a shared ACT database (ver 16.2.14.0) - when I open ACT, I get the bogus error message "the computer <> cannot be reached because the port 1434 may be blocked...". If I bring down the File menu and use Open to open that same database (accessing the same .pad file which points to the shared database location), it opens successfully. I close ACT and reopen and the same error occurs and opening the same database via the File menu works OK. ??!!
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Cannot open shared ACT database, but it opens from File menu

To further clarify, I have already read http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30561/kw/port%201434 and as expected, it has no effect.  Also, I tried several of the options listed in kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19640/kw/share act database/related/1 and nothing has worked (including changing the .pad file to point to the IP address of the 'server'). 

Nothing in the above KB articles addresses how opening from the File menu is successful, but not opening ACT (which automatically opens the last database accessed).  I have to wait nearly a full minute for the error to occur before I can even attempt to use the File menu to open.

Platinum Elite Contributor

This is an odd one but I suspect that if may be corrupted ACT! preferences. I would use ACTDiag to delete the preferences and see if that fixes the problem.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

There's a lot of custom layouts, preference settings and I'm concerned about wiping them out.  Which files are removed?  I'm guessing %appdata%\ACT\ACT Data\preferencesBak.xml, but I'm not sure about others.  I'm assuming if I delete or rename this file, all ACT settings will revert to defaults(?)

Platinum Elite Contributor

Not all, mainly the ones that are listed in Tools | Preferences. In general the things that are there for every user would stay, only the preferences specific to the individual user. The one that is most noticeable is the email setup.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

I deleted the preferences as you had suggested and I'm still getting the same problem. 

Also, not sure if this is related, but Outlook is very slow to load, then eventually prompts with 'ACT address book is not properly configured or the configured database is locked ...' (ACT-Outlook integration).  This occurs on every load of Outlook, even when I properly complete the prompts, including password, etc.  This also occurs if I disable integration in ACT or even disable the ACT add-ons.  There's no escape from this.

Copper Super Contributor

I also tried uninstalling ACT/SQL then reinstalling ACT and SP2, but the same problem occurs.

Employee

Can you please try adding the dynamic sql port and ip address to the pad file as outlined below? 

Modifying the .PAD File:

1. Launch Windows Explorer (or My Computer).
  2. Navigate to the location of your .PAD file (normally C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 9\Databases).
  3. Right-click the .PAD file in this directory, and then click Open With from the shortcut menu.
  4. Open the file with Notepad. Notepad launches with the .PAD file information.

5. Select the information between the quotes at the host=location, this is the name of the computer hosting the shared database.

Note: If the host= displays "."; the original database is not shared. A database Administrator must login to the database you wish to share, click the Tools menu, point to Database Maintenance and then click Share Database. Creating another copy of the .PAD file after the database is correctly shared will resolve this issue in most cases.

6. Type in its place, the IP Address, then a comma and the SQL Port number for the computer that is hosting the actual ACT! database files (example: 10.30.9.124,2417). For instructions on determining the IP address for a computer or determining the SQL Port being used on the computer, click the appropriate link below:

Click to Expand/Collapse this section How to determine the IP address for a computer
    1. Click the Windows Start button, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
    2. Type cmd into the Open field, and then click OK. The DOS command prompt appears.

3. Enter ipconfig at the command line, and then press your Enter key. The IP address is displayed in the command window.
    Click to Expand/Collapse this section How to determine the SQL Port for a computer
    1. Click your Windows Start button, then click Run. In the Open box, type in actdiag and click OK. Windows Vista users do not need to click Run...just type actdiag in the Search box at the bottom of the Start menu.
    2. ACT! Diagnostics will open.
    3. On the left side, click Server, then click Server Security.
    4. When the security screen comes up, you will the port number in the TCP/IP Port box.

Note: If the dynamically assigned port number is not displayed, follow these steps to identify:
    1. On the Server Security screen (to the right of the port number box), click on Server Configuration Manager.
    2. On the SQL Server Configuration Manager screen, in left column, expand SQL Server Network Configuration.
    3. Left click on Protocols for ACT7 to select.
    4. In right column, right click on TCP/IP tab and select Properties.
    5. On TCP Properties screen, click on the IP Addresses, scroll to bottom and locate TCP Dynamic Ports. This is the port number to enter as an exception.
  8. Once you have edited the host name appropriately, make no other changes to the text, click the File menu, and then click Save.
  9. Close Notepad.

Thank You,

James Starks

Copper Super Contributor

As I had stated earlier, I had already tried the options shown in the 2 KB articles I referenced.  The only thing hadn't yet tried was adding the SQL port # to the IP address.  I tried adding the SQL port # of the server like (<ip address.,<sql port # of server>) to the .pad file and not only did it fail once, it even failed when using the File menu.  I also tried using the sql port # of the target computer (the one accessing the shared database) and that failed as well.

I was forced to revert back to using either the IP address or computer name of server to at least be able to open the database off of the File menu (although it still fails when opening ACT).