Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot install ACT! 2009 for Web onto server hosting 2009 Premium for Workgroups

Cannot install ACT! 2009 for Web onto server hosting 2009 Premium for Workgroups

Everything I've read in the ACT! documentation says that it's possible to run the web product on the same machine as the one that runs the database.  However, when I run the installation for ACT! for web 2009 on the server that already has 2009 premium ST on it, it gives me the following error:

"The version of ACT! you are installing is already installed or you have ACT! Premium for Workgroups installed on your machine.  This installation will stop."

And it gives me no additional options.  I have confirmed that ACT for Web is indeed not listed in the add/remove programs list as an installed program, so I don't know what's going on.  I don't remember if I ever installed ACT for web (even just briefly) way back when I originally installed ACT! premium in November, but it's possible.  I know if that was the case, I would have immediately uninstalled it.  Is this error message caused by portions of the web product still being on the server?

Or is the only way to do it to install the web product first?  I can't imagine that would be the case--and even if it is, I cannot uninstall ACT Premium on this server as there are around 30 remote database users currently configured.

What can I do to get ACT! for web onto this server?

Copper Contributor

Re: Cannot install ACT! 2009 for Web onto server hosting 2009 Premium for Workgroups

You can have either Act for Web OR Act Premium installed, not both. Fortunatley though Act for Web is essentially Act Premium with the Web component added. So it will still host your Premium database and you will not lose any functionality. The only difference is that you can also access the database from the web.

So - Backup your databases, uninstall Premium and install Web.

Re: Cannot install ACT! 2009 for Web onto server hosting 2009 Premium for Workgroups

Boy it would have been nice if they had mentioned this somewhere in the documentation.  Now I'm going to have to redo ALL of the remote databases.  What a hassle!!!

You don't need to reinstall on the workstations.  Just uninstall ACT! on the server and install ACT! for Web.  Update the database and you're done.

[ Edited ]

Small Business Web Hosting esmith69 wrote:

Everything I've read in the ACT! documentation says that it's possible to run the web product on the same machine as the one that runs the database.  However, when I run the installation for ACT! for web 2009 on the server that already has 2009 premium ST on it, it gives me the following error:

"The version of ACT! you are installing is already installed or you have ACT! Premium for Workgroups installed on your machine.  This installation will stop."

And it gives me no additional options.  I have confirmed that ACT for Web is indeed not listed in the add/remove programs list as an installed program, so I don't know what's going on.  I don't remember if I ever installed ACT for web (even just briefly) way back when I originally installed ACT! premium in November, but it's possible.  I know if that was the case, I would have immediately uninstalled it.  Is this error message caused by portions of the web product still being on the server?

Or is the only way to do it to install the web product first?  I can't imagine that would be the case--and even if it is, I cannot uninstall ACT Premium on this server as there are around 30 remote database users currently configured.

What can I do to get ACT! for web onto this server?

Can you also give step by step or forum thread on updating the database after installing ACT.  

Message Edited by LesKessler on 04-18-2010 08:18 AM
Technology... the knack of so arranging the world that we don't have to experience it.  --Max Frisch