Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot edit templates w/Windows 7

Cannot edit templates w/Windows 7

I am running Windows 7 (and Office 2007) and since I installed it have found it impossible to edit an ACT template (through the Write menu).  Editing a template still works fine on my colleagues' machines who are running XP.  I ensured that the document is saved in the .docx format and that I've opted to use Word as my editing software.  Running ACT Premium 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 2 in a workgroup environment.  I've found lots of little compatibility issues related to Windows 7 across many programs, even Microsoft's own.... has anyone heard whether this is a "known issue?" ... or am I just unlucky? ;^)

Thanks,

Erinne

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Cannot edit templates w/Windows 7

Hello Erinne,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

There may be some confusion as to what files you can edit through the ACT! template editor.  You have chose Microsoft Word so the files you will work with will have an '*.adt' extension.  The template must be iniated through the ACT! program (Write > New Template or Edit Template) and saved as an ADT file.

Greg Martin
Sage
Silver Contributor

What happens when you try?

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

I'm just not able to save it as an .ADT file.  I open an exising .adt template (through the write menu), then make edits and go to "Save as" but nowhere is that option available.  I try typing in the file extension manually, which of course doesn't work.  When I had XP, when browsing I used to see the option to open either Word files or ADT & TPL files, but now when I go through Write>Other document from template, my only option is to view ACT file types. 

Thanks,

Erinne

Platinum Super Contributor

If it is only showing the ACT! Word Processor files, make sure you set your ACT! Preferences to use Microsoft Word.  This is done through the Tools > Preferences > Communication tab > Word Processor.

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Erinne,
Also, when editing an already existing .ADT file, you would not use "Save As', just "Save". Save As will not give you the .adt format. And you will not be able to save .docx files as .adt. Only documents originated from ACT! can be saved as ACT! templates.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks guys.   Yes, I do have MS Word selected as my editing software through the Tools>Prefs menu. 

I was actually trying to create a new template by simply modifying one already in existence. 

I used to be able to create a new template by editing an existing one (and saving as).  It was really simple because I could create the document with the proper formatting in word, copy it, then go to Write>Edit template and paste in my pre-formatted text.   I think I'll try to just make a copy of an existing template through windows explorer, rename it there, and see if I can modify it (without "Saving As") through the Write>Edit template menu.

Thanks for your responses everyone, I appreciate your time.

-Erinne

Platinum Elite Contributor

You can certainly do all that with the formatting, cutting and pasting in Word. You just need to originate the new template from the Write menu in ACT!.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Greg, we are having a similar problem and cannot edit our templates in Premium Ver. 13.1.111.0, HF5, using MS Word 2010, W7. When we attempt to "save" (not save as) we received the following, "xxx.adt' is currently in use. Try again later. Our word process is correctly set to Word. Our anti-virus is Symantec Endpoint (this is not the old Norton issue from a few years back.)
Tuned Listener

I also have been experiencing this issue. I went into my file manager and discovered that the .ADT file type was listed as a VLC type with VLC as the "Open With". I changed that Open With to Microsoft Word and was able to save the changes. Hope this helps.