Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot create new company from contact

Avid Listener

Cannot create new company from contact

We are running Act 2012 Premium Version 14.0.572.0, Hot Fix 2.

When I pull up an existing contact with a company name entered but where the company hasn't been created yet, then select "Create Company from Contact", I receive an error message that states "There is no company name for this contact.  To create a company record from this contact, type a company name in the Company field." 

I tried it on the demo database and it worked fine.  I did a "Check and Repair" on our database, but it is still happening.

Any idea why?  I tried Search but came up empty.

Patrick

Avid Listener

Re: Cannot create new company from contact

I confirmed that other users are having the same problem, so it must be an issue with the database. What can be done to resolve this?
Platinum Super Contributor

Since it has been narrowed down to your database, try the steps listed in the article: KB Article 19642

Greg Martin
Sage
Avid Listener

Thanks Greg, I tried each step and tested again after each one, but no luck.  I didn't take the final step of creating an empty database and doing the export/import.  I was hoping that someone would have a fix based on the specific problem and error message.

Go ahead and create an Empty Copy to see if it will even work, you can create the empty copy and then test creating a company before performing the import.  If it won't create a company - the import won't fix it.  If it will create a company, then the next step is the import.

This test assumes that you can create a new contact, move around in the program (calendar, task list, etc..) then come back that contact and it will fail to create the company.  If you can create a company  from a new contact, then this won't be an effective test.

Greg Martin
Sage
Avid Listener

OK, I created the empty copy of the db and did everything but the import.  Created a new contact, saved it, moved around to other areas of Act, then came back to that contact.  Tried "Create Company from Contact" and got the same error message.  What does that tell me?

I appreciate your help.

Patrick

The main thing that it tells us is that the Empty Copy/Import process won't resolve the issue.

Could the Company field have been changed?  Or removed from the layout and replaced with a different field? 

In the contact screen, right click on the Company field (data area, not the label) and see what is listed for 'Lookup xxxxxx'. 

Greg Martin
Sage
Avid Listener

[ Edited ]

Good thought, but unfortunately it hasn't been changed.  We can still create new companies from the Company screen, and link contacts to a company so that they show up in blue underline.  Just can't create companies from a contact, which is generally how we do it.

The big question is: what could trigger this error message if the company field is already populated and saved?

Copper Super Contributor

Hey there,  If it's what I think it is.  It really stumped me too.   While in ACT Check your duplicate checking criteria under preferences.  Make sure it's not empty. 

Leslie

Leslie Munson
ACT! Certified Consultant
Swiftpage Gold Drip Marketing Certified Consultant
Patricia Egen Consulting,LLC
Leslie@egenconsulting.com
www.egenconsulting.com
423-875-2652
Avid Listener

It's not empty (matches on Company only), but thanks.