Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot create new company from contact

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Cannot create new company from contact

Can you recall any fields that were modified before you noticed this issue? Possibly un-checking 'allow blank'... If you do, try undoing the change and test.

A possible option:
Do you have a backup made before the issue arose? If you do, you can restore it using the 'Restore As' option (to give it a new name), then perform an export/import of the data from the original database to the newly restored version. If the newly restored version doesn't exhibit the issue after the export/import, it would become your new main database.
Greg Martin
Sage
Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Did you check to see if any of the primary fields are defined as a no blank field. 

Leslie Munson
ACT! Certified Consultant
Swiftpage Gold Drip Marketing Certified Consultant
Patricia Egen Consulting,LLC
Leslie@egenconsulting.com
www.egenconsulting.com
423-875-2652

Is the Contact 'Company' field linked to the Company 'Company' field? If not, link them and test.
Greg Martin
Sage

Hello everyone, I'm a new Act user and I'm having the same problem. I'm running ACT 2012 Premium version 14.1.108.0 and have already tried a check and repair on the database and recently updated Sage ACT. Nothing seems to work. Can anyone help?

Can't create new companies. Once I put in all the company information and hit the save button it doesn't save it. This had happened before but I did a check and repair from the tools menu - Database Maintenance and was able to create 5 companies in which I linked all the contacts needed. After those 5 it stopped and now I can't create anymore companies again. When I input all the information for the new company and than click on the name of one of the existing companies I get this message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Once I go into my contacts than come back to the companies tab the new contact is gone. Also, I can't create a company out of a contact. I get the exact same message. I can't link any contacts to my current companies from the companies tab but when in the contacts tab list view I'm able to highlight the contacts, right click and add all the selected contacts to any company I choose. This is driving me crazy!

I have tried every single step found on these forums but nothing has worked. Both company fields from the company tab and contacts tab are linked.

I am experiencing this same problem. I can manually create a company, but then all of the address and phone fields are left blank. If I could create a company from contact, it would automatically fill in all these fields. Because this function is not working, it is creating a LOT of extra work!

TimelyFrames,

You refer to an 'Object Reference' error, your issue may be with corrupted ACT! preference files.  See the 'Alternate Method: Manually Rebuilding Preferences' section of this article: KB Article 14770

Tenglishman,

Have you checked the fixes listed in this thread (duplicate checking, fields linked, check/repair)?  Are you receiving an error message when you attempt 'Create Company from Contact'? 

Test the function in a different database (ACT! Demo or create a new database).  Does it function properly?

Greg Martin
Sage

This function worked properly in ACT Demo, so it must be my database. I did try all solutions except check/repair. Will try this to see if it corrects the problem. I migrated to 2012 from 2007 back in December and never had this issue with 2007.

The message I get is: "There is no company name for this contact. To create a company record from this contact, type a company name in the Company field." I get this message whether I click on a contact that has not been linked to a company, or a contact that has already been linked to a company. Obviously I have the Company field populated.

Check & Repair did not help. It appears that I'm having the exact same issue that patvaughn is experiencing.
Copper Elite Contributor

I have a customer with this same issue. Has it been fixed yet?
Cindy Kool, ACC
Training Solutions, Inc