Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot backup database - Timeout Expired error

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Cannot backup database - Timeout Expired error

I am not able to backup my database.

I went into get a backup on demand which is when I noticed the problem and see that the backups stopped working on 1/12/2016 (no knowledge of anything that changed).  I have tried the backup in the software and it never runs, the program just locks up (let it run overnight).  I have tried to run it through ACTDiag and get the following error message:

Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapse prior to the completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

The backup or restore was aborted.

10 percent processed.

20 percent processed.

(goes up to 80 percent processed but never completes).

I have adjusted the Timeout Values from 30 to , 90, 900, 9000 and 0; the different values give the different percent processed.  I have also run the full list of Actions (Check DB, Repair DB, Reindex DB, along with the Database Rebuild options).  I am able to run a backup on the demo database so I know this is specific to this database.

I am running ACT Premium Version 16.0.291.0 Hot Fix 5 on a Windows 7 Professional N running Service Pack 1

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by Gary W (Administrator)
‎03-18-2016 05:21 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Cannot backup database - Timeout Expired error

RESOLVED - So I figured out a way to backdoor my way to resolve this one.  It may not work for everyone but this did work for me.  I made a copy of the database and then was able to complete the backup successfully.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Super Contributor

If the ADF file on the database  is over 10 GB you need SQL Standard...

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com
Copper Contributor

Good point but this is a small (but critical) database with only 679,360KB in the ADF file.

I forgot to point out this is a virtual server environment.  I had it rebooted to see if that is the issue but unfortunately that did not resolve it either.  

Solution
Accepted by Gary W (Administrator)
‎03-18-2016 05:21 AM
Copper Contributor

RESOLVED - So I figured out a way to backdoor my way to resolve this one.  It may not work for everyone but this did work for me.  I made a copy of the database and then was able to complete the backup successfully.