Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot Delete Cleared Activities

Avid Listener

Cannot Delete Cleared Activities

I am trying to clean up my database and I have encountered a strange problem. I have just performed a removal of old data in Database maintenance. I checked CLEAR ACTIVITIES OLDER THAN 0 DAYS. After completing the 1st time, I noticed that nothing seems to have been removed. When I run the same procedure again, it gives me the message THERE IS NO OLD DATA TO REMOVE, even though I am looking right at the data. Any ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot Delete Cleared Activities

That deletes activities that you have already cleared, not open activities.

You can Erase open activities en masse by selecting them in the Task List
Avid Listener

I understand that is for cleared activities. That's what I want to do. I have about 8000 cleared activities going back to 2000 that it hasn't deleted.

Avid Listener

I suspect that the knowledgebase article below addresses my issue, but the fix they suggest indicaters that it would cost me $1100 plus based on my database size. Why should I have to pay this for a function that is supposedly already included in ACT!

Unable to Remove Cleared Activities

QUESTION:

You attempt to remove cleared activities using the Remove Old Data feature of ACT! and find that your cleared activities were not removed as expected.

ANSWER:

This is a reported issue that is currently under investigation. After using the Remove Old Data feature in subsequent attempts, you will receive the following message:

You can attempt to close and relaunch ACT! after using the Remove Old Data feature to verify that the cleared activities have not been removed. To resolve this issue, you will need to contact ACT! Database Services by submitting a Database Repair Request form and uploading your database. For detailed information on this process, please refer to the following Knowledgebase Answer:

Title: ACT! Database Maintenance, Troubleshooting, Repair, and Conversion
    Answer ID: 24758

For more information on removing old data from your ACT! database, please refer the following Knowledgebase Answer:

Title: How To Remove Old Data from Your ACT! Database
    Answer ID: 14168
Copper Elite Contributor

I have been working on this problem on and off for some time. The database still works so it is just an irritant. Even after having many of the old cleared activities removed by a SQL programmer the problem still persists. Since there is some value to cleared activities (recreating your travel oriented tasks for the previous year for expense purposes) we prefer not to remove ALL of them. We plan to try 2 other methods and will report back.

1. Copy the data to a fresh empty database.

2. Try removing ALL cleared activities at an appropriate time (Month or Year end)

Please advise if you find a solution.

Thnaks

Bob Kennedy
ACC
Kenbar Solutions CT,CA & FL
Avid Listener

Thanks for the input. I will let you know what, if anything, comes of this.

David

Copper Contributor

We are also having this issue.

I sent the database to Sage Database services to fix. They indicated this is a known issue that pertains to some sort of permissions table within the SQL database.

They were able to fix it temporarily. It is now broken again.

I was hoping the latest SP1 would fix the issue, however it did not. Very frustrating.