Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot Access Database After Power Outage

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Cannot Access Database After Power Outage

We had a power outage at our office and now nobody can access our ACT database. We can access our QuickBooks without any issues. In theory I believe we should connect to ACT just as we connected to QB. When we try to access our ACT database normally (****.pad) we receive the message 'The database *** could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or server.' I confirmed the server is back up and running and can access all files on our ACT drive. I then tried gain access by selecting the ADF file but received the message 'The SQL Database instance is unavailable.' click Ok and I receive the following message 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' 

Any assistance anyone can provide me with is greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author BigWestCorp
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot Access Database After Power Outage

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author BigWestCorp
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

I tried to restore the database to our latest backup copy (Launch ACT | File | Restore | Restore As | point it to the directory where the back up resides | Name the Database, check Share, enter user information and receive the following. 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd469/Bigwestcorporation/Untitled.png

Is it possible to 'trick' it by inserting the folders from a backup before the power outage?. I back up ACT 2 ways 1)I copy all ACT folders and 2) use the back up utility in the ACT program (File | BackUp...).