Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can you use ACT! desktop AND web at the same time?

Copper Contributor

Can you use ACT! desktop AND web at the same time?

I installed ACT! 2014 on several of our business computers.  We are sharing a database off of our server.  My users would like to be able to access their info via browser and/or ACT! app.  Or at least access their info remotely - no matter how.  I found that you can't install ACT! web on the same server ACT! 2014 is installed on.  Do I HAVE to have a stand alone server for the web version?  Is there another or better way for remote users to access their info?

Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can you use ACT! desktop AND web at the same time?

You only need the ACT! for the web installation. It hase all the capabilities of ACT! premium plus the web capabilities.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi,

you can install act for web on the same server if you want, but if you want to access the data from outside of your network we do not recommend this..

if you want to install it on the same server, you need to uninstall ACT on the Server, then make sure that the perquisites are covered, and then install act for web.

as stated, our strong recommendation is to run this on 2 servers (can be virtual (vmware)

install Act for web on a fresh server (no other tools installed) place this server into a DMZ , most professional firewalls/router do provide this feature, we do recommend i.e. watchguard, as they also offer a Http/https proxy that keeps attack away from your server.

then build a route from the DMZ to the ACT server, with the needed Ports.

going this way, makes sure that your company data is very safe, while when you add your domain/act server to direct access via the Internet, you are opening a bunch of doors for hackers,

i do often hear then, hackers are not interested in my data.. might be, but hackers are interested in Servers that they can use for other purposes, (i.e. to attack a other company or a state website) and if they gain some data, that they can sell, they will be happy to contact your competitors and ask for some $

regards

Ingo Lange

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Nickel Super Contributor

You would need to install (and configure) the web version on the server (uninstall the windows version first).  Then the database can be accessed via the windows client, via supported browser and mobile device.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT
Copper Contributor

My users are used to the desktop interface and features.  I didn't understand that the web version of ACT! is a completely different version with a different user interface.  I was hoping to continue to use the desktop interface for internal use and have the web interface for remote access.

I hate to expand the question, but can laptop users with ACT! installed get their data when out of the office.  Can they open ACT! on their laptop no matter where they are and still get their info?  Can ACT! act the same way inside or outside the network?

The bottom line is that I need my mobile users to have some way of getting their ACT! data - typcially on a lapotp with ACT! already installed.  The ACT! app looks interesting, but I guess it's not as ciritical as my laptop users having access to their stuff when out of theo ffice. 

I'd prefer to stick with the desktop version only because my users know how to use it. 

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi,

pls respond privately, then i will send you a login to a act databases, where you can see that it is 95% the same look and feel, the main difference is that you do not have the right mouse button, and that it works more with links.

and, act has a feature called Sync, where you can Sync the database, so that users that are on the road can work with the data (locally stored on a notebook or windows tablet) , and as soon they have connection to the main database, you can sync all changes made.. (this can work via VPN, or port, or if the user is regularly in the office.

the other way recommended, (specially for sales persons) is handheldcontact, it is the best way to sync the data offline on the mobile device (calender, contacts, history, notes, activity)

regards

Ingo Lange

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040