Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can you create a new field in the Opportunity Products/Services Layout

Can you create a new field in the Opportunity Products/Services Layout

I need to create a field "Monthly Billing Rate" and it need to be in the Opportunity/Products layout with the Product name and amount.  I have looked into creating a new field but it doesn't say anything about creating new fields except for the main tables (Contacts, Companies, Opportunities).  I did not see where I can make changes to the subordinate tables associated with opportunities.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can you create a new field in the Opportunity Products/Services Layout

Hello jbrown,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but in ACT! 2010 and 2011, you can add Product fields as well. When you go to Tools>Define Fields, choose Product under "View fields for".

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I understand that we can add new fields by going to Tools>Define Fields>Products.

What I want to do is adding a default value to my newly created field. But when I go to Manage Product List, obly Name, Item Number, Cost and Price are visible.

I have a standard discount amount for each product, and I would like to be able to put a default value in there. Product Description is another field I'd like to have.

Nickel Contributor

Unfortunately this is not possible if I understood what you're actually after.

The "predefined" products (ie. your price list) that appear in the dropdown list are stored in the TBL_PRODUCT table. In this table is only stored the basic info of the product, like standard cost and price.

The "actual" products (ie. the quoted or sold product) that appear under the Products tab of the opportunity are stored in the TBL_PRODUCTSERVICE table. In this table is stored the actual cost, the actual sale price, the quantity ordered, etc.

When you add a field to the "Products" table using Tools>Define fields, you're adding it to the TBL_PRODUCTSERVICE table but not to the TBL_PRODUCT table.

What you seem to want to do is modify the TBL_PRODUCT table so that you add fields and enter default values for your predefined products. This is currently not an option.

Gilles Cavin
http://www.exponenciel.com
Make sure you check our free Act! add-ons!
Create Web forms in seconds and import form results directly into Act! with Automatic Web Forms
Fill in PDF Forms without retyping data using Act! to PDF Forms

Thank you for clarifying.Do you know if there are any addons that will create a new table that will append to TBL_PRODUCT table? Or is this customization not even possible?
Nickel Contributor

It is not possible through the SDK. Even if it were, you would not gain from it since ACT! would not take the added fields into account when populating the fields in the New Product window.

Gilles Cavin
http://www.exponenciel.com
Make sure you check our free Act! add-ons!
Create Web forms in seconds and import form results directly into Act! with Automatic Web Forms
Fill in PDF Forms without retyping data using Act! to PDF Forms