Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can we merge more than one database in act premium

Can we merge more than one database in act premium

Dear all,

I have 4 databases of clients and there are some clients who are in more than one database. This database is in EXCEL. Now I wish to migrate to ACT Premium. I wish to know if there is a way to merge these databases so that when the single database which ACT will use wont have duplicates. How can this be done ?

Many thanks,

Daleep.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Can we merge more than one database in act premium

Hello Daleep,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

Here is an article which describes the steps for importing an Act! database into another Act! database.  It also contains the instructions for setting 'Duplicate Checking', necessary for merging dupilcate records and reducing the possibility of creating duplicates: KB Article 17539

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

You can also do dupe-checking on the import of the Excel files when bringing them into the single database

Hello!

Thank you to both of you for your reply.  I also found the following article interesting.

http://community.act.com/t5/ACT/Importing-and-Exporting-to-Excel-Spreadsheet/m-p/1491

I wish to ensure that I can do this before I buy act for real estate and hence my query. I would like to rephrase it.

Suppose I have 2 or more databases in excel say buyers and sellers. There may be a person with a record in both the buyers and sellers database but with 1 property for a buy and another one to sell. My query is when i import this database into act for real estate will this ONE person show up ONCE but with BOTH a buying and selling entry ? Perhaps this was not clear from my previous post.  I do not think is a simple " de dupliccation"  task. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Many thanks,

Daleep.

Ahhh .... I don't know ACT! RE (it's not available outside North America).

So, I don't know where the property entries are stored, or how they would be in Excel
Platinum Super Contributor

The information about a property is contained within fields (just like the contact name, address, phone, etc.).  Here is a link to information about the Real Estate version (contains screen shots): Act! by Sage Real Estate.

You can import data into these fields just as you would any other contact field, and use the duplicate checker to help prevent duplicates. 

Greg Martin
Sage

In that case, you can import into existing records as long as the fields are empty. If you are needing to update data in existing fields, you need to use an add-on such as itImport

Dear All,

Many thanks for your time and energy. I am new to Act and I would again like to put my question. I am using Act Premium ( NOT act for RE ) ,sorry about that.

My problem is this.

I have data in excel format which looks like this.

John       A110 Beverly Hills.    SELLER

John      B200 Sunset Boulevard  BUYER

Now the 1st like is from a seller data base and 2nd line is from buyer database.

If I do not choose the data duplication option then I do have 2 rows. If I use data duplication option on the name then it allows me ONLY ONE of those entries. I want both but then is it possible to have both listed under the name john. I guess this is a problem of database normalization. Is this possible in ACT Premium ?

My 2nd question if I have a contact open in seller, can it do a match in the buyer list using the area/price/location key on it's own or will I have to do that manually? I mean I should click open a seller item and automatically  it should pop up the corresponding buyer items if they exist on choosing some option. Is this possible ?

Many thanks,

Daleep

Copper Super Contributor

Good morning, Daleep.

You can import this a couple of different ways to ensure that you get the data into the database.  However, you might want to consider using a tool that enables custom tables in your database.  In that scenario, assuming that John is the same person, your database would have one contact record (JOHN) with a tab for properties with a record for each property along with all the property info (price, features, etc.), designating whether he is the buyer or seller on each property.  This would give you the ability to tie the property to multiple contacts and be able to see it from each contact record.

Your best course of action would be to consult with an ACC who is experienced in creating custom tables for the RE industry.

Thanks.

Thanks!

Leanne Evans
sosoftsol@gmail.com

where can i find ACC in New Delhi India