Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't swap Last and First name fields

Accepted Solution Solved
JM
Nickel Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can't swap Last and First name fields

I have a ton of records who's Contact name field has a first name but it shows up in the Last name field. I don't know and right now don't care how that could have happen from doing imports from CSV into ACT contact field.

Since edit Swap/copy fields is not an option is there a way to correct them in ACT?

Otherwise I have to export them to CSV than import back into first name field using MergeAdmin.

JM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author JM
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't swap Last and First name fields

To clarify your question regarding the First Name and Last Name fields:

These fields are hidden system fields which means they cannot be selected manually during an import. However, if the column (field) names of you import source file are exactly named First Name and Last Name, then ACT! will automatically match them up during the mapping. This holds true for any column that has the exact same name as a field in your ACT! database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Background:  By default the Contact field populates the First and Last Name fields.  When there is a single name present, it will populate the Last Name field.

The export and subsequent reimport will not populate the First Name field when the contact name is a single name.  During an import using the First and Last Name fields (absense of a Contact field value) - it will use that information to populate the Contact field, which will then propogate the information to the First and Last Name fields.  So, if you import a single name to the First Name field - the process will update the Contact field and subsequently the Last Name field (the First Name field will be blank).

This has been tested in Act! 2010, if you are using a different version the result may be different. 

Greg Martin
Sage
JM
Nickel Contributor

I'm not sure I follow you I have Prem 12.1.818.0 Hot fix1 (SP1)

When I use ACT to import the exported first name and last name fields by mapping the source columns to ACT records fields I don't have First name or Last name fields to select for the importing of say from the Last name source field into the First name field.

Only way to do this is using thrid pary MergeAdmin which I have but most ACT users don't have.

Also I'm not 100% sure but I thought you can't uising ACT import do a field to field import because all other fields ge wipped out if you don't map all the contact record fields?

JM

Platinum Super Contributor

Basically I was describing that if you use Act!'s built-in Import function and your contact name only contains a single value - it will only populate the Contact name and the 'Last Name' field. 

Knowing how the Act! import inputs and propogates it's information, you should test the results of an import using MergeAdmin with a single contact before doing a mass update.  It may be that MergeAdmin behaves in the same manner as the Act! import function and will not populate the First Name field (when the contact's name only has a single value). 

FYI: If your import file has column headings that match 'First Name' and 'Last Name' exactly, the Act! mapping screen will automatically show the 'First Name' and 'Last Name' fields even though they are not manually selectable items.

You are correct - if you use the Replace option with the Act! import it will replace the contact record in whole.  The Merge option will only update fields in the database that are empty/blank.

Greg Martin
Sage
JM
Nickel Contributor

-Sorry you did make it clear for me the first time how it basically works.

-Thanks now I'm 100% sure about contact record gets replaced using ACT's and must stick wth 3rd party MergeAdmin like product.

-Confirmed MergAdmin did work taking from Tab Delimiter field Last Name and inserting into First Name Field.

- -The second step would than be removing in the Last Name field the First Name value of all records I listed that need cleared the Last Name field which I would perform a second MergeAdmin by Mapping from a Source txt file a blank field to the Last Name field.

Please check on this part: 

Section "FYI: If your.." Inside the Tab or a Comma Delimiter txt file the header has the correct format (see below) but in fact for Importing the Contact Map shows Column01, 02, 03 under "Map from this field" and there is no listing of First Name, Last Name fields under the "To this field"

Those two fields are selectable for exporting.

Contact First Name Last Name
Richard Harvison Richard Harvison
Emily Dunn Emily Dunn
Bettie James Bettie James

Thanks,

JM

Solution
Accepted by topic author JM
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

To clarify your question regarding the First Name and Last Name fields:

These fields are hidden system fields which means they cannot be selected manually during an import. However, if the column (field) names of you import source file are exactly named First Name and Last Name, then ACT! will automatically match them up during the mapping. This holds true for any column that has the exact same name as a field in your ACT! database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.