Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't seem to find how to backup a Act! Premium (Web) - Version 19.2.146.0 database?

Can't seem to find how to backup a Act! Premium (Web) - Version 19.2.146.0 database?

[ Edited ]

I have been browsing the help but can't seem to find how to do a backup.

Act! Premium (Web) - Version 19.2.146.0 - Win10 - Chrome 

I need to make some changes to the database but need to backup first! 

Anyone know?

Re: Can't seem to find how to backup a Act! Premium (Web) - Version 19.2.146.0 database?

The online help says to use a link called "File" but I don't have such a link in view. 

My status in the dbase is "Manager" 

Re: Can't seem to find how to backup a Act! Premium (Web) - Version 19.2.146.0 database?

Hi Mark_A1,

If you are viewing Act via a web browser the File menu will not be available. The backup option is only available on a desktop installation of Act.

I would recommend speaking with your IT or someone who may have server (Or wherever the database is hosted) access to preform the backup.

if it is using Cloud hosting we preform backups fairly frequently, if you require a backup for yourself or would like us to restore a copy I would recommend calling us to do so.

Thanks for your response. 

Not very happy, it should be easy to make a backup especially before making any changes to the structure of the database. 

It isn't a one off thing, I would expect to make a backup once every couple of weeks. 

What do other customers of Act! Premium (Web) do?

Do you happen to know whether you host the database on a server or if it is hosted by a Cloud service?

If it is hosted on your own server you can take a backup as simply as 'File > Back up > database' from the Hosting or connected PC (With SQL installed)

KB 19211 - How to back up and restore an Act! database

I would also recommend setting up a scheduled backup, where you can specify how frequently you would want them to happen

KB 19218 - How to use the Act! Scheduler to automatically back up your Act! database

On a Cloud hosted service this option would not normally be possible but should be handled by the service provider.

I am afraid I don't yet know the answers to those questions. 

But I need to know, so I will find out. 

Nickel Super Contributor

Hello, QUESTION  do you currently have Swiftpage CLOUD server..??  or own WEB server..??

If you have your own Act! Premium WEB server, you can ask the database Administrator to do daily backups of the database (also before making any changes that require a backup).

If you have a subscription to Act! Premium CLOUD ( This is not a server you can take remote control to manage Act! )   ...  You can ask the Database Administrator ... to create a remote database ...   

This only helps you.....

1. to use the database on your computer

2. you can work offline and when you have internet again, you can synchronize your remote database with the CLOUD server

3. you have better performance because  the database is locally on your computer

How do I set up my Act! Premium Cloud offline client? CLICK

keep in mind.....

1. To have a remote database, you must have Act! Premium installed locally - the same version of Act! And SQL Server - In the case of Premium Cloud customers - Must be Act! Premium V19.2 and SQL Server 2014 Express)

...  TO DOWNLOAD CLICK    International English (US, CA, LA, UK, EU, AU, NZ)

2... Must meet minimum system requirements CLICK   -   I suggest office 32Bit installed locally , it can be office 2010, 2013 or 2016 

...   Best regards...

3.png

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com

Hi Juan Carlos, 

Thanks for your response. 

It all seems very over complicated. 

I just want to take a copy of my database files, at a point in time, then if something in my update goes wrong, to reinstate these files on the server to restore the database to the earlier version.

Does the URL you view Act with look like "12.123.123.12/APFW" or is it like "https://master.eu.hosted.act.com/COMPANYNAME  OR  https://eup1-iis-01.eu.hosted.act.com/COMPANYNAME"

The URL is like the last one you listed. 

I have been on to swift page, they do host it for us, and they backup on the server every 6 hours.

I think that is most of my query answered. 

Thank you for your efforts though, they are appreciated.