Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't open & use ACT 19 on laptop

Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Can't open & use ACT 19 on laptop

When I switch from dual monitor to just the laptop screen I have a difficult time opening ACT. I try ALT + Space, and the window comes up with choices to move or minimize, and sometimes, but not always, there is the choice to maximize. The maximize works, but It does not always happen. Is there a more simple and reliable way to open?

When I do open on my laptop, I am not able to work in the database. I can move the cursor around, using either the laptop trackpad, or an external mouse, but I not able access the database. I cannot even close it, so i use Task Manager to do that. It does work when i have the computer in a dock and using two monitors.  

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Can't open & use ACT 19 on laptop

This behavior can occur if the program was displayed on a monitor other than the primary monitor before you disabled multiple display support.

1. Start the program.
  2. Right-click the program on the taskbar, and then click Maximize.
  3. Right-click a blank area of the taskbar, and then click Cascade Windows.
  4. Resize the program's window as appropriate.

if this does not work ...

1. Start the program.
  2. Right-click the program on the taskbar, and then click Move.
  3. Move the mouse pointer to the middle of the screen.
  4. Use the ARROW keys on the keyboard to move the program window to a viewable area on the screen.
  5. Press ENTER.
  6. Resize the window if necessary.

if this does not work ...

NOTE: The following method does not apply if you have removed the secondary display adapter from the computer.

1. Click Start, point to Programs, click Control Panel, and then double- click Display.
  2. Click the Settings tab.
  3. In the Display box, click the secondary display adapter.
  4. Click the "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" check box to clear it, and then click OK.

...If this answered your question, please click on ACCEPT AS SOLUTION - Best regards and Good luck

DO NOT FORGET TO BACKUP YOUR Act! DATABASE DAILY - and place a copy of that ZIP file in a USB memory or external disk for more security
in case your computer or server's hard drive is damaged

FIRMA.png

Juan Carlos Otero Garcia
juancarlosotero@protonmail.com
Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

On anything Windows 7 and above, you can also use the Windows key on your keyboard, and the arrow keys to move it on screen.  Once it's on screen you can drag the title bar to move it to the new location.

Billy Clark
E: Billy.Clark@kqc.ca
P: 800-857-0558 x334
Act! Certified Consultant
MaaS Certified Consultant
World’s #1 Act! Reseller!
Keystroke
Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Thank you for the suggestions. The other part of my question is after I am able to open ACT on my laptop I am not able to move around the database like i can when i am using an external monitor. I am not able to access the tabs, like Groups, on the bottom of ACT. Sometimes i can see just the top of the tabs, but I cannot move the slide to get to the tabs. Resizing the window does not work. ACT then freezes and I need to close using Task Manager.