Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't open Outlook emails from ACT! Prem 2009 (EX)

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can't open Outlook emails from ACT! Prem 2009 (EX)

I have Outlook 2007 & ACT! Prem 2009 (ex).  I setup the email system in ACT! and added the correct address book to Outlook. 

If I send and email from Outlook it attaches to the contact in ACT! - no problem.

I can use the quick attach button - no problem.

I can create an activity in ACT! from Outlook - no problem.

When in ACT! if I click on the write/e-mail message ACT! freezes for a while and does nothing before running as normal (no error message). Problem.

If I click on the email icon in the navigation bar......same freezing result. Problem.

Mail merge doesn't work..progress bar whizzes to the end and then ACT! just freezes. Problem.

If I click on Tools/Preferences/e-mail/ e-mail settings / Next/ the box where one usually selects Outlook or internet based email is blank. If I then restart ACT! and go to the email setup area again those two options have returned.

I have run the diagnostics tool in Outlook. I have removed and re-added the address book several times.

I am completely fed up with ACT! I can't recall a time out of the 30 times or so I have installed it that everything works without having to faff about with it.

Please help me!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joober
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Can't open Outlook emails from ACT! Prem 2009 (EX)

Thank you both (Graeme & Mike) I have finally resolved this issue.

Having done all the checking and rebuilding through actdiag, testing a new database with a new user, creating a new profile in Outlook, uninstalling the reinstalling ACT!, Office & then even Windows - all to no avail.

It turns out it was a case of adding the exceptions for ACT! & SQL to both the Firewall & Antivirus.  You might think "Idiot! why didn't he do that in the first place!?" well in answer to that, I had disabled the Fire wall and antivirus (free-Avast) so I didn't think the the exceptions would be required (at that stage).. However I have since been told that even if disbaled the firewall & antivirus can still affect things if the right exceptions haven't been added. Nobody knows why that should be - that's just computers for you.

Incidentally I didn't mention in my first post that Outlook would work through ACT! for all types of email (untitled email, email from template & mailmerge) providing Outlook wasn't open.

Once again thank you for sparing the time to offer possible possible causes of this problem.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Elite Contributor

Possibly there is contention for initiating the New Message window from ACT!. Was or is MS BCM installed on this PC or any other addon product for Outlook? 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! 2009 is usually pretty good with Outlook connection.

You might try rebuilding the normal.dot file as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/698tgf

Or rebuilding the ACT! Preferences as per - http://tinyurl.com/6xjj7w

If running on Vista, you should turn off UAC first

Solution
Accepted by topic author Joober
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Thank you both (Graeme & Mike) I have finally resolved this issue.

Having done all the checking and rebuilding through actdiag, testing a new database with a new user, creating a new profile in Outlook, uninstalling the reinstalling ACT!, Office & then even Windows - all to no avail.

It turns out it was a case of adding the exceptions for ACT! & SQL to both the Firewall & Antivirus.  You might think "Idiot! why didn't he do that in the first place!?" well in answer to that, I had disabled the Fire wall and antivirus (free-Avast) so I didn't think the the exceptions would be required (at that stage).. However I have since been told that even if disbaled the firewall & antivirus can still affect things if the right exceptions haven't been added. Nobody knows why that should be - that's just computers for you.

Incidentally I didn't mention in my first post that Outlook would work through ACT! for all types of email (untitled email, email from template & mailmerge) providing Outlook wasn't open.

Once again thank you for sparing the time to offer possible possible causes of this problem.

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I know it's an old post, but your comments about Avast Free got me to thinking that maybe that's what causing my problem as well. I can send emails from Act (2010, single user), and most of the time, emails attach to histories when send emails from Outlook. But when I click on View E-Mail in Act, I get the same result as when I click Write E-mail, a new message window pops up. Obviously, it'd be nice just to do read my emails within Act and not have to switch between it and Outlook.

So, I'm wondering exactly what settings you changed in Avast becuase when I look there, I don't see anything that particularly pertains to this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dan

Dan,

The result get when click "View Email" depends on your Email settings. If under Tools/Preferences/Email/Email System Setup you have chosen Outlook as your mail client, then clicking that button will give you new mail message. If you have chosen the ACT! Email client, then clicking it will open the ACT! Email interface, which will mirror your Outlook mailbox.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Hi Greig,

Thanks for the reply. I think we're posting this in two different theads, btw.

I had set the email editor to be Act when I installed the program in mid-January, but looking at it, sure enough, it was set back to Outlook. I made the change  you suggesed and tried to use the program, it crashed. I closed Act and restarted it, clicked view email, it opened the Act email window and started to display my emails, then crashed again. I'm going to reboot and try this all again. Btw, the error message I get when it crashes says:

ActEmail MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. Etc, etc. no code or error number or anything.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan, how many items in your Outlook Inbox?

Personally, when using Outlook, I find using Outlook as the editor a better option... why do you want to use the ACT! client?

Make sure you have Outlook open when attempting to open the ACT Email client.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Hi Mike,

Actually that may be one of the problems as I have over 6200 in my inbox. Outlook hasn't been archiving for some time now and it's just one of those things I've been meaning to fix and never got around to. BTW, when I get that fixed and Outlook starts sending older emails to my archive folder, will Act keep track of where they go and retain the links from the emails to my contact histories?

As to why I want to use Act email, I've been having a problem with the Act buttons disappearing from the Outlook toolbar and I figured that if I did everything inside Act that wouldn't happen. No other reason really.

Thanks for the help,

Dan