Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't open Database

Can't open Database

My computer crashed and I had to reinstall an operating system.  After installing (Windows 7) I reinstalled act 2009 and then tried reinstalling the files that were backed up on Carbonite, but the database won't open.  Any help.  (Know I know that I need to use the Act backup as well.)

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Can't open Database

Hello Silpal1,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

What files were you able to retrieve from Carbonite? (pad, adf, alf, 'database files' folder)

What is the error you are receiving, when attempting to open?

If you have all of the files, rename the PAD file (add '.old' to the end) > then open the database using the ADF (change the Files of Type option on the Open Database screen).
Greg Martin
Sage

Hi and thank you...

Not getting an error message, just no contacts other than my contact.  (1 of 1)  I have all of the files mentioned.  Do I add the .old after the .pad or do I replace the .pad.

Thank you

Platinum Elite Contributor

Delete the old .pad file, then open the database using the .adf file. This will create a new, updated .pad file for the database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Now I get the folowing...  Log Scan # (1292:458:1) passed to the log scan in the database "xxx" is not valid....  May indicate data corruption or that the Log File (ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf)

I don't thingk the data is corrupted as I have used the backup on carbonite before when I had a different issue last year.

This error usually indicates that the log file for the database (.alf) is missing or damaged. In some cases, it could mean the database itself (.adf) is corrupted. You can attempt to rebuild the log file using this method:

- Close ACT!

- Download the ACT Diagnostics utility from the File Attachment section of KB article 27607. Save it to your Desktop

- Double-click the ACT! Diagnostics desktop icon to run it

- Select Databases > Database List.

- Locate your database in the list, click to the left of it to highlight it, then right-click on it and select Detach Database. Click Yes.

- Open Windows Explorer and browse to the location of your database.

- Delete the .ALF file for the database, (i.e. "mydatabase.alf") and the .PAD file for the database (i.e, "mydatabase.pad")

- Go back to the ACTDiag tool and select Tools > Attach ACT! Database > Missing Log File

- Click the button at the end of the field, and browse to and select the .ADF file for your database. Click OK, click Yes.

- When finished, click OK, then close the tool

- Open ACT! - you mat get an error that the last database cannot be opened. Cancel the error.

- Go to File > Open/Share Database. Click the link at the bottom of the box for "The database I want is not listed"

- Change the file type in the Open box from .PAD to .ADF

- Browse to the location of your database and open the .ADF file for it

- You wil get a message the database needs to be verified. Click OK and after a minute or two the database should open

If it does not open then the database iteself may be corrupted. This may have happened as result of the Carbonite backup. Best practice with third-party backup systems is to have ACT! back up the database, then have your other back up application save a copy of the ACT! backup (.zip) file. Do not have programs like Carbonite attempt to copy the ACT! database files themselves, unless they also have the ability to shut off the SQL Server service prior to backing up, then start it back up afterwards.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I could not reattach the database.

File activation failure.  The phisical file name "Path Listed"  may be incorrect.  The log cannot be rebuilt because the database was not cleanly shut down.

[ Edited ]

Though I have not seen that particular error before, it sounds like the database is damaged. It suggests that the database was "ripped" from the SQL Server while still attached. Unfortunately, all I can suggest at this time time would be to restore another backup. You could also try submitting your database to ACT! database services - there will a cost involved. Info is here: http://na.sage.com/Sage-ACT/support/~/link.aspx?_id=279BC743ABD641D6BEA6070233D24DA5&_z=z

Greig Hollister

Last question (I think)

From what I saw online, if they can't restore it, they won't charge me.  If they can restore it, any idea of the cost?  Won't hold you too it, just looking for a rough idea.  Thanks.

It's based on the number of contacts in your database. This information is on the Database Services agreement, which is in the File Attachments section of this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2475...

Greig Hollister