Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't open ACT DB on new PC

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can't open ACT DB on new PC

My HD crashed and I am trying to open my previous DB on a new computer. When I try to open it i get the message "(PC name) cannot be reached because the IP address "" could not be resolved...."

How do i resolve this? And what is the best way to open and restore my DB? I don't have a proper DB back-up, just all the files that were saved from the PC.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author topaz99
‎09-28-2017 09:12 AM

Re: Can't open ACT DB on new PC

It maybe that the datastore location is still being referred to the older PC rather than your current database.

KB 19876 - Error: "Cannot find database supplemental files folders." or "The database is not shared.... - in this article the steps Changing the Naming Method at the Shared Database Should allow you to Choose Machine name which will change it to the current PC. Please ensure the database has been shared prior to attempting this steps. To share go to 'Tools > Database maintenance > Share Database'.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Employee

Hello,

Maybe try attaching the database to Sql mannualy using Act Diagnostics Utility program

27044 How to attach an Act! database using the Act! Diagnostics utility (ActDiag)

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27044/kw/attach%20database

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did that and when I open it i get this error now:

"Error occurred after login in synchronization manager. The path is not of a legal form."

It opens after that but I am getting a lot of errors about layout once it is open. If I look at any Groups it does not show the group and says Error Reading the Layout where it would normally show the group contents. 

Employee

I have found some cases from a backup the Act! folders have been given a long renamed folder name from the Windows restore.
Is that the case by chance?

example.png

Copper Contributor

It does not appear that way. All these files were just copied and pasted into the new computer, not actually backed up through Act

Employee

This can also be caused by a lack of permissions to the database supplemental files folder.

Solution:
Close Act!
Browse to the location the database is stored in

Note: The default location is My Documents\ACT\Act Data\Databases
Right-click on the Folder containing the database and select Properties
Click on the Security tab and then click Add
Type everyone and then click Check Names
Click OK
Under Group or User Names select and highlight Everyone
Click in the check box next to Full Control under Allow
Click OK
Try to reopen Act!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Under the folder [databasename]-database files, you should have folders with names like in this image:

14019_1

In the Layouts sub-folder, you should have files with extension cly, gly, aly, oly

Platinum Elite Contributor

When you get it sorted, make sure you set up the scheduler to automatically back up your database ... Even better to a cloud service as I posted, here:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2012/12/taking-your-act-on-holiday.html
Copper Contributor

changing folder permissions did not help

i checked the Layouts folder and I have all the aly cly gly oly files there already

Is there a different way to restore a DB other than just copying the files into the ACT directory?

Copper Contributor

I located an older backup from May that I was able to restore as a new DB with a different name. It is missing a few months of records. Is there any way to merge or import the other DB into this file so I retrieve the missing data?