Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't install Act 18

Can't install Act 18

[ Edited ]

Trying to install the new Act to upgrade my 2013 installation and was told to delete SQL server 2008 before install. I did this and removed all Act components.

I then ran installer from download link. Program installed without a hitch but when I tried to launch it I got some goofy error Resolution of the dependency failed etc. I couldnt open it or repair install. I depend my Act database daily and needed access to my database so I had roll back to my old version through a Windows restore point.

Later today I went ahead and followed the same instructions and began install now the program says SQL 2000/2005 is running though I have no SQL server installed on my machine at all. If I relaunch the installer it sits on SQL Server Setup 2014 Setup for literally 15-20 mins saying its checking for product updates it then tries to install then tells me its failed due to Act! Pre requisite failure what ever that means and fails out. I can now not revert to my old restore point to use my older version of Act short of re imaging my HDD.

I have even re downloaded the installer thinking it was corrupt but same issues. I checked reg for any leftover from prior Act or SQL install and there are no keys. I also cant get a download to my old version of Act any more it seems so I am stuck until I can get 18 installed or reimage.

Any help?

Re: Can't install Act 18

Even though the SQL 2000/2005 error is not specifically mentioned in this article, you may be able to resolve the issue by following the steps in this article: http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28486

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
pwk

Come on guys, you've had this problem a long time, surely you can fix it!

I tried installing ACT! Pro V18 today, have uninstalled and reinstalled, and still get this stupid "Resolution of the dependency failed" msg, and none of the "solutions" actually solve the problem. How is this possible? It's a brand new, clean install, and the problem has been around for years!
Bronze Super Contributor

Hi PWS,

Have you tried this KB?

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25865/

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
pwk

Bronze Elite Contributor

Did you resolve this issue. There is a registry cleaner for ACT that will remove all traces of an ACT  installation that I can link you to but the messages sound more like SQL 2008 did not completely uninstall. It may also be a .net issue but any screen messages would help us trace the problem.