Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't input data into a company view or create a company from Contact

Accepted Solution Solved
jsk
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

Can't input data into a company view or create a company from Contact

I recently upgraded to ACT! 2012 Premium and everything seemed to be running fine until I tried to create a new company from Contact. I created my new contact just as I had done with ACT 2006 premium and when I clicked "Create Company from Contact" I received two messages:

"The record you are trying to create is a duplicate. Are you sure you want to continue?" - (This is incorrect as I am 100% certain it is not a duplicate.)

I then click yes to continue and then I received the following error:

"There is no company name for this contact. To create a company record from this contact, type a company name in the company field." - (This is also incorrect as I DO have a company name filled out in the company field)

The other problem I am having is that when I am in the company view I can input data into the fields but once I leave the company view and return the data is no longer there.

I can input notes/history in under the company view, my main issue is with the fields.

If anyone has ran into this problem in the past or has any recommended solutions please let me know.

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jsk
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Can't input data into a company view or create a company from Contact

If disabling duplicate checking was done to get past the error, now try enabling it and setting it to only check 1 field (Company Name - assuming it would always be populated and different). Test.
Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hello JSK,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

First message: Check your 'Duplicate Checking' settings.  This is done through Tools > Preferences > Admin tab.  Click Duplicate Checking and change Record type to 'Company' > disable Duplicate Checking.  Test.

Second message: Ensure the Company 'Company' field is linked to the Contact 'Company' field.  This is done through Tools > Define Fields > select Companies > locate field 'Company'.  Double click on the field to edit > click Next > Enable 'Link to Contact Field' and select 'Company'.  Click Finish, then test.

Greg Martin
Sage
jsk
Astute Commentator

That fixed half of my problem, Now when I create a company from a contact I receive the error message " Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Thank you!

Silver Contributor

Not sure if this is it, but make sure you save your record before you duplicate

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Solution
Accepted by topic author jsk
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

If disabling duplicate checking was done to get past the error, now try enabling it and setting it to only check 1 field (Company Name - assuming it would always be populated and different). Test.
Greg Martin
Sage
jsk
Astute Commentator

Genius! 

Thank you so much Greg, you have been extremely helpful.

Greg I am using ACT 2011 and am having same problem.  When I enter a contact and put a company name in as well (this being done in contact page) the company does not save.  I tried your option above but the check box Linck to company field is all grey and I can't make any changes.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello gboyet,
The checkbox referred to is in the duplicate checking settings in preferences:
- Tools > Preferences > Admin tab (end of row) > Duplicate Checking
- Change record type dropdown to Company
- In the first box, select "Company"
- Change the other 2 boxes to <None> (top of list)

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.