Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't create groups in ACT! 2012

Can't create groups in ACT! 2012

Good  Afternoon,

I am having an issue with creating groups in ACT! We recently upgraded from 2003 to 2012 and since that time the groups tab will not create, show or allow edits of any kind.

When I hit the New group button, it does allow me to create the lookup and name the group, but it will not allow me to save the group.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Re: Can't create groups in ACT! 2012

I posted this same question 30 minutes before you did.  I can delete groups.  I can change the names of groups.  But it will not let me add groups.  If anyone gets you answer, would you send it to me as well?  I'll do the same.

Thanks

Kendra

Employee

Hi,

Do you receive any errors when attempting to save the group?

If you try this in the demo database do you get the same problem?

What is the full version of Act (Help > About) and version of windows you are using?

Thanks

Chris

Thank you for your reply,

I'm currently running: Sage ACT! Premium 2012 Version 14.1.108.0

I did try to create a group in ACT!Demo and had no issue.

The error message is sparatic, sometimes it does nothing, sometimes I get an error message similar to Kendra's posted on this thread: "Value cannot be null.  Parameter name:  criteria."

I did find a bandaid to this problem, I think, but it is quite clunky. If you go to Tools>preferences>Admin>Duplicate checking and choose Groups then Match records to Group Description, it circumvents the not able to save issues, though I still get the above error message from time to time.

I am still quite new to ACT! on the admin level. I have a decent understanding of the software from a account executive/sales person standpoint though.

Regards,

Chris

Employee

I've seen this issue before when duplicate checking is enabled but has nothing selected in the boxes below.

You can get past the error by either turning off duplicate checking or set criteria for group duplicate checking.  I would recommend the second option.

If I remove the duplicate checking, I go back to the issue of not being able to save again. Is there a specific criteria to search by with duplicate checking that you have seen be successful?

Employee

Using group name is generally enough but if you still have problems try and set it to 3 fields which you will fill in for each group.

I'll try that, Thank you!