Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't add new contact

Can't add new contact

Hello all!

I am using Premium 2012, 14.1.108.0 -->  I cannot add a new contact by any of the methods one would use.  Insert doesn't work, Contact button from the menu doesn't work, and Contacts : new contact.  It seems I have to exit ACT and go back in and I get one chance to enter a new contact.  Any ideas?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Can't add new contact

Hello Mgeller13,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Try performing maintenance on your database: Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair.

If that does not resolve the issue, can you provide some additional information:

- Computer operating system?

- Did this ever work?

- Open the ACT! demo database (or create a new database) and test the function.

- Are you getting any error messages in the Windows Event Viewer?

- Does anything happen when you attempt to create a contact (error, flashing window, etc...)?

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg, I've done numerous check and repairs.  After this issue popped up, I figured I'd better make a backup.  I was unable to make a backup either to my local C drive or my external J drive.  Received an error - xceed.filesystem.disk file.

ok, to answer your questions.  this is an ongoing problem, and it is intermittent.

I am using Windows 7 on an ACER with 6gb and 1tb drive with 300gb free.  i basically run act/outlook/word/excel/egrabber and some others

sometimes when i add, it just creates a duplicate of the record that is on the screen, so lets say i have you as a contact with act as the company, and i press insert or the two choices from the menus, it just increments the count of your record as many times as i try.  ever since i went to 2012, i have been having a minimum of two issues a day, each and every day. 

i have to tell you it is frustrating, and i have to stop wasting as much time as i spend on this.  it seems if i leave act and come back in or even reboot - hot or cold, it will work for a little while.

please help me

Platinum Super Contributor

We need to determine if this is database specific. 

To do so, open the ACT! demo database (or create a new test database) and add several contacts - are you able to enter them? 

Also see if you can backup the demo/test database.  Successful or not?

Greg Martin
Sage

Yep, same thing. Also, the automatically scheduled backup stopped working with the following message.

"The following error occurred during backup. The backup was cancelled. The file items could not be opened for reading type:xceed.filesystem.diskfile. full name \\machine name\the whole enchilada\database files\attachments\tmp47c9.msg

it seems to be getting worse, and the amount of downtime i am enduring is becoming unacceptable.