Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't Sync from outside firewall, can access through Internet Explorer, but can't sync remote database

Can't Sync from outside firewall, can access through Internet Explorer, but can't sync remote database

Please someone help!!!

We have Act Premium for Web 2010 installed on Windows XP Pro acting as a Web Server.  We also have Act Premium 2010 installed on several laptops running a mix of Vista and XP all with unpacked remote databases.

From inside the firewall, everyone can synce no problem.

Through Internet Explorer, everyone can access and login to Act both inside and outside the firewall.

What we can't do is get the remote databses to sync from outside the firewall, and we don't know how to resolve this.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't Sync from outside firewall, can access through Internet Explorer, but can't sync remote database

What is the error message(s) you are receiving when syncing outside the firewall?

What method are you using to sync...the Internet Sync Service or the Network Sync Service?

If Network, then are you going through a VPN or using the sync service through the Internet (using port forwarding)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Can't Sync from outside firewall, can access through Internet Explorer, but can't sync remote database

Hi there,

I am using the sync service through the internet using port forwarding.  It is working fine accessing the server web based version through the internet using port forwarding.

When trying to sync a remote database, however, I ge thte following message "ACT! is unable to connect to the sync server.  Check to be sure "accept incoming sync"is enabled in the main database and that the Network sync service is running.  Also be sure you are connected to your network. Contact your administrator for assistance."

When I am inside the firewall, I have no problem with a sync.  When I click "Synchronise now" I get prompted whether I am inside or outside the firewall.  Syncing inside (and being inside) works fine.  Syncing outside (and being outside) gives the error message above.  However, I can open a web browser, type in the static IP address and the login page comes right up and I can login.

Platinum Elite Contributor

If you are able to sync from inside the firewall using the same sync service, then issue is most likely your router settings, not with the ACT! sync service. You will need to have whomever configured the port forwarding settings on the router take a look and see what could be blocking the sync service. An alternative to using port forwarding would be to use a VPN. LogMeIn.com has a very good, secure, and free VPN service called Hamachi that I have found works well with the ACT! sync service. More information on this is available in KB 23333 and on the LogMeIn website.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.