Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't 'Paste' into Field with "Field Formatting"

Copper Contributor

Can't 'Paste' into Field with "Field Formatting"

Hello Act! Experts.  I could use your help on this issue.  In our business, we need to keep Social Security Numbers (SSN) so I have a simple character field with custom formatting: ###-##-####.  This works well for us except when we try and paste a SSN into the field.  Nothing happens.

Because pre-formatted fields like the telephone fields DO allow pasting, I am thinking that there's something I'm missing.  Any thoughts on how to solve this issue?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Can't 'Paste' into Field with "Field Formatting"

Neil,
Testing this process, I also found that I could not paste into the formatted field (###-##-####). This is due to the field formatting being presented within the field (different from the formatting of a phone field).

However; I also found that I was able to paste into the field by highlighting the format within the field (double click on format within field), then right-click and paste (or use CTRL+V). It pastes into the field and applies the format to the data.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Re: Can't 'Paste' into Field with "Field Formatting"

Hello Greg! Although different from other fields (which I will have to 'teach' our other users), your solution works like a charm! Thank you for exploring options for us!  I appreciate your help and support.