Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't Import-Merge a Yes/No field?

Can't Import-Merge a Yes/No field?

I want to update a yes/no field using a tab seperated .txt file in Act Premium 2009 (ver 11). 

I regularly update fields in Act by deleting all data in a field (e.g last order date) and importing the new data using the merge option in the import wizard.  This works fine with all text/date/number fields.  However this doesn't seem to work with the a yes/no field.  I'm using yes ="1" and no ="0" in my .txt file.

The default value for my yes/no field is set to "0"  (a default value is required).  Does this mean that the field always contains some data so you can't merge into it?

Getting very frustrated!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't Import-Merge a Yes/No field?

I believe the Yes/No fields always contains a value, also the yes or true value is -1
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

[ Edited ]

thanks for the responseI did try "-1".  It seems to me that because a yes/no field always contains some data it is impossible to update this field with an import - can anyone at Sage confirm if this is the casethere is a work around if you import 1/0 into a user field, make a look up and use the Replace Field command to update your y/n field but it's a bit of a faff!

I do wish act was a little more user friendly for those with database admin experience...

Message Edited by smcnairn99 on 11-10-2009 08:03 AM
Message Edited by smcnairn99 on 11-10-2009 08:04 AM

Unfortunately, ACT! can only update a field if it's empty - any field.

To update fields with data, you need an add-on like itImport

As Roy stated earlier, the Yes/No fields will always contain a value of 0 or 1, so cannot be updated by choosing the Merge option. You would need to choose the "Replace with source contact" option. This will replace the value in all mapped fields with the contents of the import file, so be sure that the data in the import document is accurate and map as few fields as possible when doing the import.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.