Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't Edit Layouts, Define Fields, Activity Types etc.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can't Edit Layouts, Define Fields, Activity Types etc.

We recently transitioned our database to Act v18 Premium Web and my understanding is that if you create a remote database from Premium Web, you can then use the Windows client of Act v18 Premium to edit layouts etc.  However, I'm noticing none of this is possible.  You cannot make any layout edits, define fields or any kind of customization at all.  

Where have I gone wrong?  It seems crazy to me that I can't even edit Activity Types on either the Windows Client (Remote Database) or on the Web-Premium version of my database.

Please tell me there's something I'm missing and all of this is doable.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author JagStyles
‎02-01-2016 05:20 PM
Silver Super Contributor

Re: Can't Edit Layouts, Define Fields, Activity Types etc.

It can be removed from the menu by an administrator but I'm assuming that isn't the case in this instance.  Run actdiag and tell it to remove your preference files and see if it comes back.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Hi Jag,

All of this should be possible.
Has UAC been disabled? Are you running Act as admin? Does your Act user have the Administrator role?
Copper Contributor

I am running Act v18 on windows client as admin and I do have an Administrator role. UAC is in fact disabled. Should I re-enable it?
Administrator

No, keep UAC disabled.
Can you access these features if you create and open a local database on your machine and try again?
Copper Contributor

In other local databases, I can define fields, edit activity types etc.  Interestingly, I only know of one way to go into the layout editor - I have to go through the "Define Fields" section in Contacts pull-down menu and then create a new field, click OK and then a pop-up comes up asking if I want to edit the layout.  That's the only way I've been able to go ahead and edit/design the layouts.  Not sure if I'm missing a menu option.  I can edit dashboards but see no option to edit layouts other than through this back way.  All the other options are readily available in a local database.

Silver Super Contributor

It should be the 3rd option on the Tools menu.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Contributor

Nope, just have "Design Dashboards" as the 2nd option and then right under that is "Manage Users" and "Manage Teams". No Design Layouts. What do I have to do? I notice even for local databases I do not have the "Design Layouts" menu option.
Silver Super Contributor

Something doesn't sound quite right.  Can you attach a screen shot or two?

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Contributor

See screenshot below.  This was taken from a team viewer connection I have with my PC in the office.  In this example, I opened the demo database which I have admin rights on.  It doesn't matter whether it's a local database or a remote database, the Design Layout option is never available in the menu under TOOLS.  I had a similar problem on my old Laptop as well.  

2016-02-01.png

Copper Contributor

Just tried creating a new local database from scratch just to be sure... same thing, no "Design Layouts" option in the Tools pull-down menu.