Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't Edit Dynamic Group

Can't Edit Dynamic Group

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a weird issue where I cannot edit the criteria that some dynamic groups are searching on. When I click on Add/Remove contact, it says there is no criteria for the group, but it is definitely still a dynamic group. I've edited some contacts to test it out and I can still add or remove contacts to the group based on what I know it's searching for. So it is still working dynamically, but I can't edit the criteria. 

This was a shared/public group at one point, but I made it private again and that hasn't helped. 

I also have other dynamic groups that are working fine and will let me make edits. 

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Using Act Premium v 21.1.187.0, Update 4

Database is on the server

Windows 10

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Can't Edit Dynamic Group

[ Edited ]

Very odd and maybe a corruption so first try repairing the database under Tools - Database Maintenance - Check and Repair.

I would also make this group public again just in case it is suppressing the group criteria. A reboot maybe required to see the result.

You might also try Duplicating the Group using Duplicate Data from all Fields option to see if that brings back the criteria. If it does simply then delete the original group.

If neither work it might mean a manual recreate of the group and deletion of the old.

Thank you for the reply. 

I tried all of those suggestions, and no luck. When I duplicated the group, the new group had no contact at all, so the logic doesn't seem to copy over. I'll just recreate the Group in order to edit it. This has definitely happened before with other groups. I think I convinced myself they were static groups, but I've definitely noticed a trend of my groups losing the criteria after a while. This was just the first time I monkeyed around to try figure out the issue.

Bronze Super Contributor

Hello Rooster752.

I experienced the same problem recently, and ACT Tech support couldn't figure out what caused it.  We could not identify the cause and rebuilding the dynamic group did work and left it as corrupt data.

I saw that Ch1p suggested duplicating the dynamic group.  By any chance did you use the duplicate command from within the Groups view or did you rebuild the dynamic lookup?  

I think that if you re-create the dynamic group with a new name, that MIGHT fix the issue.

Here's another suggestion.  Create a new group but do not add any contacts.  Then using the defective dynamic group see if you can create a lookup from the contacts listed.  If so, then add those contacts to the group you just created.  Of course, this is not a dynamic group, but it would allow you to use those contacts, especially if needed for an AMA Campaign.

Good luck.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 22.1.212.0 Update 4
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 500GB SSD.
ACT CRM Advisor

Hey John,

I did try to duplicate the group and chose to duplicate data from all fields, but it just left me with an empty group. I have a service call this afternoon with our database hosting company to see if they have any ideas, but after that I'll just give up and recreate the Group. I've already spent way more time trying to fix this problem than it would take to make a new group. But, this has happened several times and it is getting frustrating, so I would ideally like to find a solution.