Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't Add New Contact

aj

Can't Add New Contact

[ Edited ]

I'm using ACT! Premium 2009 11.0.

I've set up Application Synchronization according to the instructions found here (How to Set Up Application Syncronization in ACT!):

http://tinyurl.com/ygutxag

The synchronization has been working but all of a sudden, a remote user cannot add new contacts.  I can add new contacts on the server but not via the remote database.  The menu option for "New Contact" is grayed out.

What should I look at to resolve this issue?  I've been searching the forums and the knowledge base but I haven't found anything that will help.

Thanks for any help you can give.  I'm very, very new to ACT!.

Message Edited by aj on 01-09-2010 11:40 PM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Can't Add New Contact

Are you logged in as the same Act user on server and remote?

Not being able to create new contacts sounds like you are a user with Browse level security. 

aj

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for responding. 

The user is logged in as the same ACT user on the server and the remote.  Also, the user has Administrator level security.  Based on the research I've done, I think this may be a case where the user simply needs to change the Layout setting to "Basic Contact Layout - 800x600."  It may be that the "First Name" and "Last Name" fields are grayed out and not the actual "New Contacts" menu item.  I'm waiting to hear from him and I'll let you know what I learn.

I have another quick question:

If the sync log on the server shows the following, doesn't it mean that the user is able to add contacts?

[ Info | 1/10/2010 5:44:37 PM ]Message: Items received:
Contact - Added 10, Updated 2
History - Added 78
Opportunity - Added 4
Security - Added 3, Updated 3
Sync - Added 10
Total Records Synchronized - 110
Files - Attempted 0, Completed 0
Exceptions Occurred - 0

Does this necessarily mean that the user is able to add NEW contacts?

Thanks for your help.

Bronze Elite Contributor

This log shows that the user is adding contacts. 
aj

Please forgive me.  I'm just trying to be very clear.  This log is indicating that the user has the ability to add NEW contacts and has in fact added some new contacts on the remote database that were uploaded to the server?

If this is the case, I'm wondering why the user has indicated that he can't add New Contacts?  This is very strange.

Thanks again for your help.

aj

I guess my question is, is there a way for the user to add contacts without using the "New Contact" menu?