Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can other user sign onto my remote DB?

Can other user sign onto my remote DB?

Can I allow other users to sign onto my remote DB?  My copy of the remote DB contains all other user's records.  Can they sign onto my remote DB as themselves in order to see their scheduled activities?
Nickel Contributor

Re: Can other user sign onto my remote DB?

Depends on what options were chosen when the remote database was created. A remote database can be made for a specific user or all users. If they can't sign into your remote database - they can "Filter Calendar" to see their own schedule.
Trevor Lever

UK - ACT Certified Consultant
www.actpartners.co.uk
trevor@actpartners.co.uk

They aren't able to see their own activities on the calendar, even after selecting themselves in the filter, when signed onto my DB.  If the system wasn't originally set up to allow that, can I create another DB that does?  Each of these users already have their own remote DBs, mine is more the centralized office copy.  We have the Master DB sitting on a server located outside the office.
Bronze Super Contributor

What exactly do you mean by "mine is more the centralized office copy"?  There is only one master, and that should have all the data if sync is working correctly...
Nickel Contributor

Have a look at the settings for the Sync Set that is being used for your remote database. After you have defined the criteria for the contacts that you want to synchronise, you can define if the database is to be used for a specific user(s) or "all current and future users". Ensure this is selected and then all users will be able to log into the remote database.
Trevor Lever

www.actpartners.co.uk
trevor@actpartners.co.uk

I have all the sales reps contacts, because I'm the admin for all of them.  They only have their own contacts on their individual remote DB's.  The one Master DB is not located in our office, it's located offsite on a server.   I do see everyone's records, just not their activities, which has become a problem now that the Managers want reports printed for all sales activity and I need to see their calendars.  If I log onto the Master DB on the remote server, I can do this.  But I am unable to see anyone's calendar or activities on my copy of the remote DB.

These users also have their own copies of a remote DB that only contains their own territory data.  We saw that option on the main DB but were concerned that by selecting that choice, the individual users would also receive my sync set (which contains everyone's data) in addtion to their own sync sets.  Is that not true?
Nickel Contributor

Create a new remote database for yourself and a new sync set for yourself as well. This sync set will be for all contacts and "all current and future users". This will not effect the other users remote databases content.
Trevor Lever

www.actpartners.co.uk
trevor@actpartners.co.uk

Thank you for all your help! 

If the changes to the sync set won't affect other users, do I need to create a new database or can I just change that setting on the Master DB to be "all users and all future users" to update my current sync set?  I do have all the users in my DB already, they just can't log in. 

Nickel Contributor

Without having a look at your specific set up to confirm the exact settings... I would suggest creating a new sync set (all contacts, all current and future users) that only you use and also new remote database that only uses this new sync set. This way it ensures other remote users are not affected.
Trevor Lever

www.actpartners.co.uk
trevor@actpartners.co.uk