Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can I run more than one ACT Db on a PC?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Can I run more than one ACT Db on a PC?

I use a windows server to host an ACT database and then have remote users syncing in remotely to that server.  

Interestingly, for the syncing to work I need to have the database running on the remote machine.

I have a second ACT database that I am keen to use but as far as I can tell I cant run the second instance of ACT on the same PC.

It would appear more than one server can be set to run in the ACT Internet Sync Service but only the instance that is running will allow remote syncing.

Any clues on what might be going on?

Act! Premium Version 16.2.14.0

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author mattbaxter
‎07-14-2016 04:25 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can I run more than one ACT Db on a PC?

It looks like you've got it in a bit of a mess between the two services ...
You might be best off getting some help understanding how the two service options work to figure out which is best for your network infrastructure.

View solution in original post

All Replies

You can have as many databases on the server as you want.
Sync'ing is when you have the database on the remote machine and sync changes between them ... So, of course that needs the database on the remote
You don't run a second instance of the SQL server ... The one instance runs as many databases as you want

What are you actually trying to achieve for the remote users?
What is the actual problem you're having?

[ Edited ]

It is a pretty strange situation.  I have both database set up in the ACT! Internet Sync Service on the windows server that is hosting the database.  

From the remote PCs I am syncing using the connection type Internet (outside of firewall) and I have the relevant IP and port information.

However it will only complete the sync when the specific ACT Database is actually running the program.  

So if I open Database 1 on the windows machine hosting the database then remote users can Sync Database 1.

Otherwise I get the error "Act! is unable to connect to the sync server.  Check to be sure "Accept incoming sync" is enabled in the main database and that the Network sync service is running.  Also be sure you are connected to your network."

So the solution I thought would be to have two ACT! programs running on the windows server , but this doesnt seem to want to occur.

If it's needing the Act! program open, that's Application Sync.
You're running the Internet Sync Service... So you're running a web server, correct?
What ports are you using?

As you're in Australia, feel free to give me a call, if you like

I am using the default it gave 65100.
Should I be trying another port ?

That would be the default for Application Sync, or for Network Sync Service (which can still be remote via port forwarding or VPN) ... Not for Internet Sync, which requires an IIS server (usually on Port 80)

Yep that I think is my problem.  

I fudged my way aroudn the server and found some info about its ISS and noticed a reference to the ACT Internet Sync and port 80. 

I gather it is being blocked at my server end.  Tried to open it but it didnt work.  

Solution
Accepted by topic author mattbaxter
‎07-14-2016 04:25 PM

It looks like you've got it in a bit of a mess between the two services ...
You might be best off getting some help understanding how the two service options work to figure out which is best for your network infrastructure.

I am about to change servers to something more permanent and I might be able to get the server host to have a look at this while they are doing the set up. Thanks for pointing out where the problem is likely to be.