Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can I make the NOTES area show more then 7 rows per entry on this screen?

Copper Contributor

Can I make the NOTES area show more then 7 rows per entry on this screen?

Can I make the NOTES area shw more then 7 rows per entry on this screen??     About 99% of the time we utilize Notes entries that are over flimsy 7 rows.....   Why does ACT16 hide these valuable notes from view?  Is there a preference setting someplace?

2014.jpg

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can I make the NOTES area show more then 7 rows per entry on this screen?

Sorry, no. You need to open it to view more than that.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Roy - Thanks for the reply.

No more than 7 lines visible per Note means our users can't SKIM thru the Notes quickly & easily.    We have Notes for clients and customer going back many years, every phone call and email contact gets a Note for us in Act.   We manage our customer relations thru the Notes., especailly when a client telephones in, we quickly SKIM the notes.      

Only 7 lines visible per Note is a huge negative compared to how older version Act! handled Notes.

This is a deal breaker for our group.    We'll continue to use Act! v6.0

Future ACT! version request:  Please have the length of visible NOTES for flexible, show the entire note!   Thanks.

Copper Contributor

Hallo PCFlyer,

perhaps it is helpfull if you show the details part.

For this check the "Show Preview" item under the Options menu item.

Best regards Susanne

Copper Contributor

Thanks Suzanne for the suggestion.   

Show Preview is still way more cumbersome (one note at a time) than the logical and simple handling of the visual Notes content as was the case in earlier version ACT! V6.0.     

It a common sense need to show the entire note as written.     What's so special about 7 rows anyway?   I can't imagine what the thought process was by the Act programmers was to CUT them off at 7 rows.  

A fatal flaw in the software.

My guess is that it was the result of customer requests for the ability to edit the Notes and History detail for font style. In ACT! 6 the Notes and History details are strictly text only which is much easier to display. Starting with ACT! 2005 the Notes and History details were made editable for font style (bold, color, etc.) by using rish test format for the Notes and History details. I assume that the primary display was then limited to 7-lines to keep the extent of display under control. So I assume that the limiting of the primary display to 7-lines was a side effect of the customer requests to allow editing of the Notes and History details.

By the way have you tried the universal search in the present ACT! version? It might limit the need to scann through notesas you describe.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
JM
Nickel Contributor

Here is a second reason to not support the advanced format if that is the road block by design?

I would like ACT! NOTES and HISTORY Records format to either go back to Plain txt format to allow a 3rd party Purge History & Notes add-on to be able to keyword search in the body of records (not only the regarding field) to locate specific records to then delete, OR keep support of the any style font format and make if possible to search and purge.

I really don't see the practicle application of having to retain the message format, if you can't offer a way to search the body of records to then purge from a short or unliminted list. It's more important for the big DB custmers to improve how to purge records to reduce size of DB, increase speed of ACT!, and reduce backup size.

Regards to Preview pane not an option if you have multiple notes.  You would still have to use the mouse to scroll down that list to see the details of each record. I must be missing your point?

Here is my screen shot wiht my custom Contact Detail Layout and defined Options (column view)

JM

Notes_View.jpg

JM wrote:

It's more important for the big DB custmers to improve how to purge records to reduce size of DB, increase speed of ACT!, and reduce backup size.

------------------------

The database size with SQL has very little effect on ACT! performance unlike with ACT! 6.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
JM
Nickel Contributor

I agree when ACT2010 HF4? came out with fixes for SQL performance and stability for the way I designed and use ACT! it is now better than ACT 6.0.  I'm still using version Prem. 2013 (v15.1) and it's been stable since I finished my last tweak and complete rebuild of 75,000 contact records, +80 custom fields, 1,000's of History records.

I was refering very general to the speed of ACT like getting work done in a few different ways covering.  For me I like to see some tweaks or options to switch into mode(s) that help in my workflow.  Such as the navigation in ACT or number of mouse clicks to do x thing, how to find exact History/Note records to remove theout dated once based on a string in the body of record.

Such as look for a Result: "Field Changed" within the body of History record "Field Stage changed from "sent_mailer" to "Quote received".

Not to get too far off track of PCFlyer's issue if there is a need to change the History and Notes Tables I question why we need to preserve the original source text format that prevents a way to search in the body and or allow him to display X rows or unlimited. Since I still don't understand why my earlier screen shot of my layout and usage can't be just as effective for them.

JM

Copper Contributor

I agree 100% with JM.   

Our end users couldn't care less about Notes formatting.     Especially at the cost of losing FULL VIEW and SEARCH.   That's a really bad trade off.     Act! programmer note:  And even with the formatting, there's no technical reason why end users should lose Full view and Search.  

Please bring back Notes Full View & Search, drop the Formatting if that what it takes.  Do it in next version.

Our company's end users voted and unanimously chose to remain at v6 instead of losing Full View & Search of Notes.