Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can I have 2 seperate Databases open at one time.

Can I have 2 seperate Databases open at one time.

I need to be able to use 2 different databases at one time, but it's a PAIN closing one and opening another. I go back and forth all day.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Paul

JM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Can I have 2 seperate Databases open at one time.

When people complain about performance of ACT! this is one of them.  Consider merging them into one DB that has a field that holds a code for the type of record.  That way you can create two Groups each with a Query looking in that field to list those specific records.

Another suggestion if each DB has it's own set of fields and or layout you would create a layout for each one (DB) and just flip between the Layout choices (located in lower left of ACT! a drop down button)

JM

Platinum Elite Contributor

I've also heard of people creating a virtual second machine and then have different databases open on each machine. Another way is to get ACT! for the WEB then you can have different databases open in different instances for the IE.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
JM
Nickel Contributor

What Roy suggests are other options, but I assume your new to ACT!?  If interested save time, pain and money to focus on making money and just hire an ACT! CC to plan and set it up.  It's a bit of work setting ACT! Premium for Web on a dedicated PC running IIS on min. OS XP Pro and to secure it making sure the min. ports are open and Firewall and Antivirus are setup.  If your 30-90 days into owning ACT Prem. get a free upgrade to ver. 11.0 because it includes Web.  Going that route you should create a secure VPN to allow you and others access with a Web Browser by way of Intranet method or Internet (more open and requires more lock down).

JM