Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can I auto-post received Outlook email to ACT! History

Can I auto-post received Outlook email to ACT! History

I think I've figured out everything I need to operate ACT! and Outlook with Outlook as the mail client, except for one thing.  When I send emails to ACT! contacts from Outlook, the sent email is recorded as an ACT! Contact history record as desired.  But when that contact replies to me, I can't find any setting to automatically create an ACT! history record for that reply.  Nor can I find any documentation saying that this isn't possible.  It's a pain to go through a bunch of mouse clicks to manually attach the email reply to the ACT! contact.  Is there an undocumented setting to automate, or a shortcut to speed this task?

I'm afraid Outlook just doesn't have the smarts to recognize the "incoming" as belonging to an ACT! contact.

Any ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can I auto-post received Outlook email to ACT! History

With ACT! 2009, you can create Outlook rules to do this as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/5km8y9

Not in previous versions.

Thank you, Mike.  I guess I am a year late and a dollar short - I'm using ACT! 2008.  Thanks for keeping me from spinning my wheels on this. 

--Tom

Copper Elite Contributor

Contact you local ACC (or ACT) and it will cost you peanuts to upgrade if you do it before 9/30
Bob Kennedy
ACC
Kenbar Solutions CT,CA & FL

This was helpful for inbound emails, we don't want to collect employee to employee data..

Is there a way to do this with outbound email so it will NOT auto-post to the history?

Copper Elite Contributor

When you set the defaults for History remember it is by user. In many cases the execs in a company and those who do not deal with customers and vendors a lot will have it set to NOT save history. If they happen to send something they wanted attached but forgot they can always attach it after the fact. I think ACT has it covered as perfectly as possible without introducing mindreading.

There is also the ability to make the history private!

Bob Kennedy

Bob Kennedy
ACC
Kenbar Solutions CT,CA & FL
Platinum Elite Contributor

coretechllc wrote:

This was helpful for inbound emails, we don't want to collect employee to employee data..

Is there a way to do this with outbound email so it will NOT auto-post to the history?

Yes... in ACT! 2009, it's just a question of defining the rules better.

Another option is to simply remove the email addresses from the My Records in ACT! - then it can't attach history to those records.