Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can ACT premium 2013 web and Windows versions coexist?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can ACT premium 2013 web and Windows versions coexist?

I'm setting up a five user ACT premium 2013 installation and we have 3-4 of the 5 users in the office nearly all the time with 1-2 outside members needing access via the web (or VPN but web would be more flexible if these versions could comingle).  If they can't coexist then I'd probably have to place all of the internal users on the much slower web access.  Here's the station-by-station breakdown:

Server : Web version accessed by the URL of "act.mycompany.com"

Station 1 Laptop : Has the Windows version installed and can access the server file directly but when this user is not in the office then the user can access via the web and when this user is on vacation he will have his laptop with him and access by either web or VPN or by using a synced copy of the database on his laptop.

Station 2 Worksation : Always in the office and can directly access the data from an installed copy on this workstation

Station 3 Workstation : Always in the office as well

Station 4 Workstation in home sales rep :  This sales rep is home based and out of state, never leaves home so this user will probably have the quickest access as a remote database on the local computer that is synced via web or VPN

Station 5 Traveling Rep : Can be anywhere.  Will probably have an installtion on home PC but also accessing via web or cell phone browser (as the www.act.com/webdemo allows)

I'm still doing some testing on this configuration as data is being migrated from ACT 6 (no that's not a typo, the only reason they're upgrading is because ACT 6 won't run on Windows 7 and the XP systems are now obsolete enough that they're being replaced).

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author tjfitzgerald
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

Re: Can ACT premium 2013 web and Windows versions coexist?

Yes, this is possible .  Act for Web, ACT Desktop edition over a LAN, and ACT via Sync are all possible against the same master database if set up properly.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author tjfitzgerald
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

Yes, this is possible .  Act for Web, ACT Desktop edition over a LAN, and ACT via Sync are all possible against the same master database if set up properly.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Thank you jonmklub. I thought that was the case but just wanted to make sure to take a potential problem off my plate. I know that the people in the office could always access if via the web interface but that would not be as quick for the users as operating from their own copy on their own workstation. I'll add any useful information to this thread as I complete this process.
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello tjfitzgerald,
In addition, your users can also access their contact, activity, and opportunity data on their mobile devices using the Sage ACT! Premium Mobile web client. This comes as part of the ACT! for Web install. More information here:

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.