Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can ACT! 10 Auto Populate Contact Info In An Email?

Copper Contributor

Can ACT! 10 Auto Populate Contact Info In An Email?

I have an ACT! user here and she wants to know if ACT! 10 can be set to auto populate a contact's information from act into an email?

Here is her actual question:

"I want to send a bunch of people an email asking them if their contact information is correct.  Instead of me coping and pasting their info in the email, is there a way I can insert the contact's info in the email? kind of like when you insert your signature in an email."

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Can ACT! 10 Auto Populate Contact Info In An Email?

Hi,

What she'll want to do is perform a mail merge. You can find step by step instructions on how to perform a mail merge in our knowledge base. I'm including the link for you. It was originally written for ACT 2006, but still applies for ACT 2008.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=13883

Thank you for posting.
Copper Contributor

I see that if you have the correct template this can be done...How do you create an email template that will pull the contact's relevent information into the email?
Nickel Super Contributor

You'll create the template under Write/New Template

This kb article will give you step by step instructions on how to add fields and customize the template.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=13834
Platinum Elite Contributor

If doing a large number of emails (more than 100), you'll be better off using one of the third-party email systems - MergeMaster or SwiftPage.

In addition to handling larger numbers of emails, both also provide for better html, reporting back on who opened the emails, etc. MergeMaster also allows for using Company fields in a merge as well as adding FAX and SMS merges.

Is Mergemaster or Swiftpage neccessary if sending bulk emails to more than 100 people?  I will be sending bulk emails to 500+ contacts.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Yes. Nearly all ISPs and local mail products (including Outlook) choke at that sort of volume

I am taking advantage of the 60 day free trial for Swiftpage/e-marketing ACT.  I saved a template in my local file and edited it.  My question is:  When I go to do the merge (several hundred contacts), how can I get the contacts name to pull within the email under <salutation> to personalize the email for each contact?  I can do this in "mail merge" within ACT but can I do it within the e-marketing tool?