Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Calendar Events for certain users disappear after clearing out old cleared items during maintenance.

Calendar Events for certain users disappear after clearing out old cleared items during maintenance.

Hello All,

We have a tricky one this morning.

We have 5 users using Act! Premium for Financial Professionals

It was starting to take forever to view the calendars and switch days. (or server runs 4GB RAM and dual Xeon processors - all computers have at least 2GB RAM - XP Pro). SO, we reindexed, repaired, etc. and then saw some tips in here about deleteing old data. The only data we felt comfortable deleting was old cleared items. So, we set it to 90 days and it deleted 35,000 items. Once it was done, the navigation on the calendar was super FAST. BUT, then we realized a problem. If we select all users, nothing shows up on the calendar, we show a certain few, it shows up.

SO, there are 2 specific users that if we include them in the "select users", it makes everything go away on the screen. As soon as we remove them, the other data comes back.

I was trying to figure out if all their data was gone - wasn't sure how to do that. So, I attempted to create an appointment for them and got an error that said:

Inex and length must refer to a location within the string Parameter name: length

And to make things even worse, the backup we did right before this (which took 4 hours) completed successfully per act BUT when we tried to restore it (and do a restore as) said that the file did not contain backup data. Then we tried to open the zip file and it said it was corrupt.

So ... right now we pulled our backup from the night before and are working off that (which stinks because we lost a days worth of info)

To my point - does anyone know why this would be happening? Sounds like a database issue - just wondering if their data really is still in there and the database is just jacked up. I have tried detatching, schema repair, everything I can think of.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Re: Calendar Events for certain users disappear after clearing out old cleared items during maintena

[ Edited ]

You're correct, usually in these cases it is a database issue.  You narrowed it do the these two users, but it will be difficult to find the corrupted activities.  Did you try running fix known activity data issues from actdiag?  If could be possible that purging the cleared activities caused the corruption.  Try restoring as the backup and try purging the cleared activities again.  This way you don't have to mess with the production database. 

You may want to have database services look at the database.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 04-06-2009 02:50 PM

Re: Calendar Events for certain users disappear after clearing out old cleared items during maintenance.

Did this issue get solved?  I have the same issue with our Database.  We use Act! Premium 2008.  Deleted old cleared activities and now one user (me, the administrator) cannot see calendar activities or task activities.  They are still there, but do not appear on calendar or task list.  Also have the same problem with trying to schedule activities, and same error message.

My next question is this.  If the deleting of cleared old activities causes this, do I have to pay if I have to have my Database repaired?

Finally, did anyone discover another way to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

C. Ford

Re: Calendar Events for certain users disappear after clearing out old cleared items during maintenance.

Deleting cleared activities doesn't cause the issue.  It actually exposed that you had some sort of activity corruption from the beginning.