Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Bug? Accessing databases with the same name in different locations can lead to corruption.

Copper Contributor

Bug? Accessing databases with the same name in different locations can lead to corruption.

I have user and I setup his database on his locate machine under his name, call it ADAM for this example.  To have access between ADAM and another user, lets call it EVE (name doesn't matter), I installed the database ADAM on the network and he worked all day yesterday on the network copy.  Today he switched to the local demo then returned to the ADAM database, but unfortunately he accessed the old ADAM database on his local computer (I should've deleted it after moving but did not).  The network version of \\COMPANYSERVER\ADAM was not his list and all he saw was ADAM and used it.  Obviously all the changes he made were not in his local version.  I then came in and made a backup of the local ADAM database and deleted it, then accessed the network \\COMPANYSERVER\ADAM database and it showed all the changes from yesterday but it also showed all of the calendar entries from two days ago.

It appears as if the calendar information from the local ADAM database became merged into the network version of the ADAM database because of the sequence of events, I have no other explaination of how this could of happened so I think it's a bug.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Bug? Accessing databases with the same name in different locations can lead to corruption.

Hello tfitzgerald,
I don't think that's possible. Technically they are two different databases on different machines using different installations of SQL Server, so they would not be able to merge, at least not without the user initiating it. I'll be happy to try and reproduce this (I encourage you to do the same), but you may want to look more closely at the sequence of events to ensure that those activities are actually not supposed to be there. Was there any other data besides the activities that was affected?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Bug? Accessing databases with the same name in different locations can lead to corruption.

He thinks the activities were cleared on the server?
Have a look in the local backup ... see if the activities are there (even set the filter to show erased). Also see if either has history items from the cleared activities