Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

BufferedGraphicsContext

BufferedGraphicsContext

I have migrated from ACT6 to ACT2008 Premium.  (I actually started ACT when it was at Act 1.1b)  In ACT2008 I am getting horrible graphic memory leaks.  In the task manager I added the column GDI Objects to watch the memory leak grow.  As I go back and forth in ACT from Calendar to a List, I add about 500 to the count.  Once I get to roughly 9999, I get the following error:

"BufferedGraphicsContext cannot be disposed of because a buffer operation is currently in progress".  

I have a vanilla situation.  I have three workstations (XP SP3).  Two gateway workstations are about 2 years old (running office 2003 and are fine with memory and resources) and my own workstation is a new Dell PC with 3 gigs of Ram and plenty of resources.  My server is a 2003 Small Business Server.  The memory leaks only affect the workstations.  The Dell and Gateway are obviously different PCs but all share the graphical memory leak problem. I opened up ACT on the server and bouced from calendar to list and so forth;  the GDI Object count stayed around 2K which is what it is suppose to do according to the ACT tech.  My two old workstations grow slower than my new Dell workstations.  The new Dell I can bomb in about 10 minutes if I push opening windows.  The ACT tech worked on my machine but could not find a conclusive reason for the memory leak.  Again I have a vanilla siutation so I am having difficulties believing that I am the only one who has experience this.  Does anyone have any ideas about have to relieve this?

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: BufferedGraphicsContext

Hi Mark,

Just to say I have one customer who has this and out of 30 machines it only happens on two of his boxes (both new dell machines).... I am working with Sage and will post back if I have any news.  Unfotunately this seems to be linked to something specific to the machines although we haven't managed to pin it down as yet.

Tom

[ Edited ]

Hi Tom,

Yes, let's keep in touch.  My computer consultant is coming in tomorrow.  Amongst other things we will try a new graphics card on my PC.  I currently have an “ATI Radeon HD2400 with 256 MB”.   My nephew, the computer gamer kid, says the card is not very good.  Along another track, in the ACTDiag there is a tool called Release ACT! memory.  I am trying to learn about this.  If I understand it's function correctly, I might be able to set the buffer to flush every 15 or 30 minutes.  This might provide some relief assuming I do not bounce too fast between ACT windows within a 15 or 30 minute timeframe.  I definitely am working hard to correct this problem.

Content removed.  Please do not post private information on a public forum.  It is best to use the Private Message function to communicate your info to another community member

Message Edited by ghollister on 08-21-2008 10:38 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

One good thing to do any time you suspect a video problem is to turn off the hardware acceleration on the video board  Most video related problems are caused by the boards hardware acceleration.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you for your thoughts.  Yes I took that step long ago along with changing the DPI to 96 and I adjusted the screen resolution to a easy setting for ACT.  (I have a 22" monitor for my workstation but I am running at 1280 * 768 to accommodate ACT.)

I worked with my computer consultant today.  We had some success.  On my new Dell PC the most substantive thing we did was to uninstall Windows Defender.  I am having a much reduced memory leak problem on my PC.  I lost my custom menus and tool bar (I am at the default menu & toolbar) so when I have restored my custom menu (I have a "connectbar" file backed up), it will be interesting to see whether the problem comes back.

On my two year old Gateway workstations, uninstalling Windows defender did not help.  Next week we will increase RAM and put in a graphics card for those two PCs.  Those PCs have onboard graphical management.  Possibly the two year old PCs with graphics managed by the motherboard are not sufficient to manage the graphically intensive ACT.

This is the latest.

The onboard video is notorious for causing problems. In addition they often don't have separate video RAM and steal part of the regular RAM for video use. I think that will be a good move.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Another thing to check is that you have 10.02 or 10.03.

Previous versions used the Microsoft .Net Global Assembly Cache rather heavilly and they found it leaks resources when over used.  10.02 and later uses a workaround for this MS bug

I have .03.  But I will note what you said.  Again on my workstation, the most substantive thing I did to remove the memory leak problem (on my workstation) was uninstall Windows Defender.  I have used Windows Defender for years and never had a problem with any other application.  It was quite a surprise when there appeared to be a correlation between its removal and my memory leaks going away.

I have some new findings to add to my earlier postings.  Windows Defender might not have been the culprit after all.  When I worked last week with my computer consultant, he replicated the Bufferedgraphicscontext error again and again to study it.  That repeating of the error caused the connectbar file (that contains my customized menu) to corrupt.  I lost my customized menu and ACT reverted me back to the default menu.  I had the connectbars file backed up and I reinstalled it today.  Once I put back my old connectbars file, I got the memory leaks all over again.  As a consequence I believe there was something in my customized menus on my three workstations that might be causing the memory leak.  I have emailed the connectbars file to the ACT tech support person I am working with and she will see if the memory leak problem can be reproduced on her machine.  There are these elements in my custom menu that I will need to study to see which one(s) represent the culprit:

1.)  Are there "too many" custom commands set up? 

2.)  If a custom command to a third part exec file such as quickbooks.exe might trigger memory leaks

3.)  I created submenus (a "write" submenu within the "WRITE" main menu). The submenu theory is my best guess as to what ACT is having difficulty dealing with.

For now my best solution to the memory leak is to have a good graphics card and plenty of RAM and to have minimal menu customization.

MarkCPA