Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Blank web server pages, network timeout

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Blank web server pages, network timeout

[ Edited ]

With a recent install of ACT! Prem. 2012 web access, the web pages all show up as blank, or I get a network timeout.

After reinstalling MSDTC and IIS, I'm now able to successfully complete all the tests in the Web Admin. tool, except one. Along the way, I manually copied the 4 APFW folders from the ACT! for Web program folder to the wwwroot folder of inetpub. I've reset IIS and completely restarted the computer. The one test exception is that when I test the virtual folder (APFW) from the Add/Remove Database tab, I get a blank browser window. If I attempt to directly browse pages from within the Computer Management console under IIS, all pages show as blank. When opened in an editor, they have content as expected.

More specifically, testing the virtual directory in the Web Admin. tool takes me to http://localhost/APFW/default.aspx, which shows as blank. If I direct the browser to http://localhost, what shows is http://localhost/localstart, which is an OS file saying the following to start:

Your Web service is now running.

You do not currently have a default Web page established for your users. Any users attempting to connect to your Web site from another machine are currently receiving anUnder Construction page. Your Web server lists the following files as possible default Web pages: default.htm,default.asp,index.htm,iisstart.asp. Currently, only iisstart.asp exists.

To add documents to your default Web site, save files in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\.

Instead of getting the Under Construction page, however, other machines simply time out.

So far, all attempts in all browsers to access the web server fail. Browsers running on the web server show blank pages. Browsers running on other LAN computers time out attempting to access the web server. This occurs whether we use the machine's name or machine's local IP address - e.g., http://computer/apfw or http:/10.0.0.5/apfw.

I've disabled the software firewall on the web server and opened access to port 80 for it in our router.

The OS is Win. MCE running with a quad-core CPU and 4 GB of RAM. We're still in basic web-testing mode, so only LAN access is available for now - no public IP yet.

What have I missed?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author MichaelStJ
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Blank web server pages, network timeout

[ Edited ]

Currently, there are 50 folders in the APFW folder using Win. Explorer and 45 showing from the Computer Management console under IIS. Is there some way short of reinstalling to fix this?

We have 2 remote databases I'm hoping I don't have to re-create.

Since first posting this reply , I went in and reset the local path of the home directory under the IIS web site properties from c:\inetpub\wwwroot to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\APFW (maybe it should be C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web\APFW ?).

That at least gives me a logon page when browsing to localhost on the web server, though my login attempts consistently fail, even though I can successfully logon through the desktop icon. Browsing to http://localhost/APFW yields a blank page, and using other computers on the LAN yields a network timeout as before.

Removed ACT!, removed and reinstalled IIS to clean that up (had to restart in Safe Mode to delete all c:\inetpub\ content), reinstalled ACT!, reset permissions for the ASP.NET impersonation account, reran aspnet_regiis -i and aspnet_regiis -c for .NET 4, ran iisreset -restart, and now everything works - even the Network Sync service, after I  did a repair install, then removed and reinstalled it, and then waited about half an hour.

BTW, it should be possible to manually re-create the ACT! virtual directories based on the 4 APFW directories in the main program directory. The important thing would be to give them the right permissions - Read, and Run Scripts. Being new to IIS and virtual directories, I made the mistake of copying those directories into c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ when they turned up missing after re-installing IIS, and then the further idiocy noted above. I don't have the time to test the virtual directory manual re-creation idea, but it is consistent with the current properties of these virtual directories after a fresh re-install with everything working.

And this entire ordeal began because MSDTC couldn't start and had to be re-installed. For reference, see the topic ASP.NET setup on Win. XP.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Through IIS, how many folders do you see in the Default Web Site/APFW?  There should be @ 50 folders listed.

If ACT! was installed before you went through the IIS troubleshooting/reinstall, the solution may be to reinstall ACT! so it can place it's components into IIS correctly.

Greg Martin
Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author MichaelStJ
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Currently, there are 50 folders in the APFW folder using Win. Explorer and 45 showing from the Computer Management console under IIS. Is there some way short of reinstalling to fix this?

We have 2 remote databases I'm hoping I don't have to re-create.

Since first posting this reply , I went in and reset the local path of the home directory under the IIS web site properties from c:\inetpub\wwwroot to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\APFW (maybe it should be C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web\APFW ?).

That at least gives me a logon page when browsing to localhost on the web server, though my login attempts consistently fail, even though I can successfully logon through the desktop icon. Browsing to http://localhost/APFW yields a blank page, and using other computers on the LAN yields a network timeout as before.

Removed ACT!, removed and reinstalled IIS to clean that up (had to restart in Safe Mode to delete all c:\inetpub\ content), reinstalled ACT!, reset permissions for the ASP.NET impersonation account, reran aspnet_regiis -i and aspnet_regiis -c for .NET 4, ran iisreset -restart, and now everything works - even the Network Sync service, after I  did a repair install, then removed and reinstalled it, and then waited about half an hour.

BTW, it should be possible to manually re-create the ACT! virtual directories based on the 4 APFW directories in the main program directory. The important thing would be to give them the right permissions - Read, and Run Scripts. Being new to IIS and virtual directories, I made the mistake of copying those directories into c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ when they turned up missing after re-installing IIS, and then the further idiocy noted above. I don't have the time to test the virtual directory manual re-creation idea, but it is consistent with the current properties of these virtual directories after a fresh re-install with everything working.

And this entire ordeal began because MSDTC couldn't start and had to be re-installed. For reference, see the topic ASP.NET setup on Win. XP.