Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Best way to connect remote office

Copper Contributor

Best way to connect remote office

We're using ACT! 2011 Premium.  We have a remote office connected via VPN.  What is the best way to connect this office to our main office server that contains our main ACT! database?  Does ACT! have explicit instructions for doing this?

Silver Contributor

Re: Best way to connect remote office

Not really a best way for everyone as one option may make more sense for you.

HEre are options:You could either set this up yourself or use a hosting provider

aCT for web - Main database lives in one office and users in the other would access via web browser.  Benefits would be real time access and ease of setup, challenges would be stability and absence of some features in the web product.

Sync the two offices.  - main drawback is the real time access and the responsibility to keep the two databases in sync. Also each machine that uses ACT needs the act program installed.  So there is more to maintain and keep going.  Although it's stable and works well for many people, it still can break especially if not properly maintained.

Thin Client or Remote Desktop - this can give real time access to the the full desktop product and has the best of both worlds. can sometimes be more expensive unless you have it hosted.

Use a third party hosting provider. - low start up cost, predictible fees,

let me know if you have questions pertaining to any on of these and i'll be glad to help.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

I tried to setup syncing, but could not get it to work.  Computer names don't resolve over our VPN and substituting the IP address didn't seem to work.  The remote office has only one computer and one ACT! user.  I also tried installing ACT! in the remote office the same way as in our main office.  The remote office has full access to the server in the main office.  But after the user logs into ACT!, they get an error that not all database files are available.  I'm assuming this has something to do with the VPN.

Anyway - does ACT! have a whitepaper or detailed instructions on setting up syncing over a VPN?   

Copper Contributor

I setup syncronization with the main office at it seems to work.  However, it seems that  ACT! on the server in the main office must be on and logged in for the remote offices to sync.  Any way around this?  Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello allamf123,
If you are using the Pro version of ACT!, then unfortunately there is not. With Pro, the sync service is built into the program, so ACT! must be open in order to sync.

With the Premium versions, the sync services can run outside of ACT!, so do not require it to be open.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Just noticed in your original post you indicated you have (at the time) 2011 Premium. Have you installed the Network Sync Service on the machine hosting the main database? If so, then you can sync without ACT! being open. However, the machine does need to be on in order for the sync service to run.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Actually I'm using ACT! 2013 Premium.  How do you turn on the network service?  I just created remote databases and transfered them to the remote offices and I sync them manually.

This Knowledgebase article provides instructions:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3029...

Prior to installing the service, you will need to turn off the built-in sync service so it does not conflict with the network sync service. Do this on the server by going to Tools > Synchronize Database, then uncheck Accept Incoming Syncs. Then close and reopen ACT! to have this take effect.

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Had to change the name of the server to the IP address in the PAD file.  Works fine now.  What a pain to set up.  Thanks for the help.

[Edit: language]