Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Best way(s) to move ACT! 2009 Premium EX data to ACT! 2009 Premium for Web?

Best way(s) to move ACT! 2009 Premium EX data to ACT! 2009 Premium for Web?

Hi all, I'm new to ACT! and am really hoping someone can assist me.  I've been tasked with the following, but not exactly sure if it's possible or how to approach this properly.

[End-user info]

Windows XP Professional SP3
ACT! 2009 Premium EX Corporate Edition

User works with her local installation of ACT! daily, does not share it, essentially standalone.

I have setup ACT! 2009 Premium for Web on a Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition server and have verified web access and authentication to a default, non-populated database.

My task is to migrate all of her local ACT! data to the server for security and backup purposes.  I have given her admin rights on the default database on the web server.

Once all of her data is moved to the server, she would like to continue using her local installation of ACT! Premium EX and have it sync with the server, almost real-time so our traveling Sales team view these records remotely.

Is the above scenario even possible?   If so, could I get some pointers on how to accomplish this?

Thanks for listening and I sincerely appreciate any and all replies!

Tin

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Best way(s) to move ACT! 2009 Premium EX data to ACT! 2009 Premium for Web?

Does the user want to access the database directly or create a remote database and sync with it from her workstation?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you very much for replying! 

I apologize, but I'm not sure I understand the key difference(s) between the direct access and remote database w/sync.  Does it help if I say she would like to avoid the APFW web interface to edit and we (I.T.) do not want her to login to the server directly?  A sync process from her desktop to the database via a plugin or an additional piece of software installed on her PC would be ideal.  I hope that even makes sense.  Thanks again!

Tin

To move the database to the server, see this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1981...

Then she can sync a local copy of one (of more) databases using either the Network Sync server (easier to setup) or Internet Sync server (uses IIIS)

See: http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/01/sharing-act-network-or-sync-part-1.html

You might also find this useful for backups:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/09/automating-backups-for-act-by-sage.html

Tin,

If you do not want her to have live direct, live access to the main database, then you would set her up with a remote database. A remote database is separate database that would be local to her machine, and is created from the files of the main database. She would work independently in this database, and synchronize with the main database when she wants to send/receive updates. There is no real-time updating with a remote database..updates to the main database only occur when a sync is initiated from the remote to the main. You can however, use the ACT! Scheduler service on the remote database to automatically synchronoze with the main database in a given interval, with 1 hour being the smallest interval you can use.

For information, please see the following Knowledgebase articles:

Setting up network synchronization: KB Article 22977

Creating a remote database: KB Article 14116

Using ACT! Scheduler to set up automatic synchronization: KB Article 19216

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.