Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Backup database on full drive

Copper Super Contributor

Backup database on full drive

Hi everyone, im in a pickle.. We have an ACT Premium for Web - 2009 hosted on a virtual server on our network.  Our C drive, which hosts our ACT install and databases, is critically low on disk space (less than 1GB of space).

In particular I have one 8GB database.  We were able to add a second drive to the server, but now I want to migrate the 8GB database to the new drive.  However, everything I've seen in the past states that I have to create a backup of the database, then restore the database on the new drive.

Is this true?  If so, then I cant create the backup because (take a guess) theres not enough disk space.  Does anyone know how else I can "move" the database files to a new disk on the server?  We also already have a SQL Server instance on our network, is it possible for us to host the database on our SQL Server, so our server only hosts the ACT files, but not the database itself?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Backup database on full drive

Here is an article with the steps for moving a database without using the Backup/Restore process: KB Article 23392

I see you are using Act! 2009 for Web, once moved/copied - you will need to go back through the Web Site Administration menu (under Tools) and re-add your database from the new location.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Super Contributor

Thanks Greg!  I'll give that a shot and let you know

Silver Contributor

Short version: stop sql, move the database files, reattach to SQL via file, open within ACT then repoint via the web site admin tools within ACT. I"M still concerned that the server may need more cleanup to free up enough hard drive space to return you to full functionality.  We generally like to see 10-20% free space on a primary hard drive.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Super Contributor

Yes I agree, thanks Jon.  If this method works, then migrating the database will free up 8GB on a 24GB drive, so it's taking up a significant amount of space.  Once I get this moved, I'll be able to appropriately manage the disk space along with the other databases hosted on this server as well...