Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Backup and Restore

Backup and Restore

Hello,

I am our company ACT! Admin.  I will access the database on the server from my office.  Will I be able to backup and restore or restore as while sitting at my office destop, or do I have to go to the server to do this.

I was hoping I could backup to the ACT! directory on the server from my office and then restore from there.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Christine

JM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Backup and Restore

You should have created a shared folder on the server x:\actdatabase> so you can run ACT on your Desktop which can select the DBname.PAD open DB up.  Once open you can do a manual backup from drop-down menu File | Back up and specific where you want to put the backup other than in a subfolder of the working DB folder.  x:\actdatabase\ACTBackups>

When you need to Restore As just point to the x:\actdatabase> folder and specify shared and the DB name so it will restore the DB in a new folder.

JM

Thank you very much!  Someone had told me this was not possible, and that I would have to physically be at the server to do a restore.  Which did not make much sense.

Appreciate the help!

Christine

Well, I tested this today, and the error message said I could not restore from a non local drive.  I had selected the backup file that was located on the server and tried to restore as with a different name to the database folder, but could not do it.  It appears I do have to go to the server for a restore.

JM
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since I don't have a server to test on to check Shares and Windows Folder security settings I ran some tests and checked ACT KB's. From what I can tell your correct the RestoreAs to server drive path will not work.  I think that is because the restore has to establish hooks with the SQL server.  I was only able to run the ACT ZIP backup on my local system to a network drive.

Sorry for misinfo unless someone has a trick besides just running LogmeinPro Free or GoTo Meeting to remote control the server from any where and not have to physically be infront of server.

JM

Bronze Contributor

Couple of comments:

All current Windows Server OSs support 2 administrative Remote Desktop Connection sessions, so you don't need LogMeIn etc - RDC or RDP can be found under Programs, Accessories, Communications on all XP, Vista and Windows 7 computers

2nd, I always configure ACT! Scheduler ON THE SERVER to automatically backup the database nightly, which produces a single .zip file that is an entirely self-contained backup of all necessary data, and I keep the last 5-10 backups.  And in addition, whatever backups process that runs on the server then, in turn, backs up the zip file either offsite, or to tape, etc.

Signature

Thank you very much!!! Smiley Happy

JM
Nickel Contributor

I would also like to add she should also add to the Scheduler Task Backup the Database Maintenance set for every two weeks or sooner if there is 1000 records touched per week. 

Next until confident backup's are restoring and DB opening OK with current data and attached files she should do test restores.  Being on server with other services running, shares and what ever else is running it would be a safe thing to do.

Lastly setup systems when Windows goes out to check for updates automatically, it first asked you for the OK, or you just turn it off and do it manually to see what it wants to do and if a big update to first create a Windows registry / restore point backup.

JM