Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Backing up v 11.0 database error

Copper Contributor

Backing up v 11.0 database error

I converted my version 9.0 database to version 11.0 last week.  I tried to do a database backup but recevied the following error:

ACT! by Sage

The following error occurred during backup.  The backup was cancelled.

Cannot perform the requested operation on an item that was the read-only attribute.

Type: Xceed.Zip.ZippedFile

FullName: \Share\190.xxx.xxx.xxx\Database_Name\Reports\Activities.rep

All the reports in that folder are read-only.  I kept my original 9.0 database intact, and those files are also read-only.  Any ideas?

Nickel Contributor

Re: Backing up v 11.0 database error

One possiblity would be that the database isn't local to that machine your attempting to create the backup on.
Copper Contributor

I ran it from the server it's hosted on.  I should also mention that the Everyone group has full access to all files and folders, and that the proper shares are in place.
Nickel Contributor

Does the DB reside on a mapped drive? An easy way to tell if the location is the issue would be to create a dummy db at C:/ and then see if it'll back up.
Copper Contributor

It's not a mapped drive, it's running from the local server it's hosted on.

I also tried saving the zip file to the default backup folder instead of the one I created and running the backup without attachments, with the same error.

Then I did the obvious.  Although I really don't want my users being able to alter these files, I removed the read-only attribute from all report files in the Reports folder and the backup ran successfully without attachments.  Now I am running it with attachments.

Like I said, these files were read-only on the last version of ACT we used (9.0) and the backups ran fine.  Do I really have to leave them this way to get the report to run?

Does anyone else run successful backups and if so, can you check if your reports are read-only or not?  Thanks.

Nickel Contributor

Read only access would imply less than full access, which you'll need to create backups.
Copper Contributor

Yes, I'm aware of that.  I'm confused as to why it worked in 9.0 even though all the reports are still set to read-only.

I didn't change the files to read-only, they were set that way when the folders & shares were created by ACT.