Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

BUG REPORT: Since the 19.2 upgrade, when I close ACT!, the process does not close

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

BUG REPORT: Since the 19.2 upgrade, when I close ACT!, the process does not close

As the title says, ever since upgrading to 19.2 (also happens on a fresh install of 19.2), if I close the ACT! application, the ACT! process does not close.  This is causing hangups on system restarts as well as hangups on starting/restarting Outlook.

Capture1.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author financialITguy
‎06-20-2017 11:44 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: BUG REPORT: Since the 19.2 upgrade, when I close ACT!, the process does not close

Ok, I resolved the issue, here's the gist of it:

When I downloaded ACT! Premium V19.2 earlier in the month, it downloaded act!_premium_v19_sp2x144.exe and when ran, it created the folder c:\act!_premium_v19_sp2x144

When I reinstalled ACT! from the same download source, it reinstalled the same version, 19.2.144.0

When I downloaded ACT! Premium v19.2 about 30 minutes ago from https://www.act.com/download/download-act!-premium-v19, the executable is named the same act!_premium_v19_sp2x144.exe from the link under "ACT! Premium Windows Client" (http://dl.act.com/192/EN/act!_premium_v19_sp2x144.exe) which led me to believe that I was reinstalling 19.2.144.0

However, THIS TIME, when I ran the executable, it created a new folder on my C drive, c:\act!_premium_v19_sp2x146 (notice the change from 144 to 146) and the version of act! installed is now 19.2.146.0

And now, when I close ACT!, it closes the process as well; no more Zombies.

Maybe y'all can update the link and more importantly the name of the executable to show the change in version?  Thanks!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Re: BUG REPORT: Since the 19.2 upgrade, when I close ACT!, the process does not close

Hi financialITguy,

Does Act! stay in the background processes section of Task Manager indefinitely after closing the application, or does it eventually exit completely?
Copper Super Contributor

Indefinitely.  And just recently, it started adding multiple instances of ACT!.exeCapture.PNG

Administrator

Are you running TeamViewer by any chance?
Multiple copies the process is quite unusual. Is the PC acting as a terminal server or something similar?
Copper Super Contributor

I am not running TeamViewer.  The computer is not a Terminal Server.  Every time I close ACT! it refuses to release the process and keeps it open.  

Administrator

Could you explain what you're doing, or what's happening that produces more copies of the process?

We haven't seen any other reports of this particular issue. It might be best to give our support team a call so they can troubleshoot directly on the affected PC.
Copper Super Contributor

Literally just opening ACT! up.  Don't even need to log into a database for this to occur; if I close ACT! it doesn't close the process.  I have support on the line now, hopefully they can help remedy.  Thanks.

Solution
Accepted by topic author financialITguy
‎06-20-2017 11:44 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Ok, I resolved the issue, here's the gist of it:

When I downloaded ACT! Premium V19.2 earlier in the month, it downloaded act!_premium_v19_sp2x144.exe and when ran, it created the folder c:\act!_premium_v19_sp2x144

When I reinstalled ACT! from the same download source, it reinstalled the same version, 19.2.144.0

When I downloaded ACT! Premium v19.2 about 30 minutes ago from https://www.act.com/download/download-act!-premium-v19, the executable is named the same act!_premium_v19_sp2x144.exe from the link under "ACT! Premium Windows Client" (http://dl.act.com/192/EN/act!_premium_v19_sp2x144.exe) which led me to believe that I was reinstalling 19.2.144.0

However, THIS TIME, when I ran the executable, it created a new folder on my C drive, c:\act!_premium_v19_sp2x146 (notice the change from 144 to 146) and the version of act! installed is now 19.2.146.0

And now, when I close ACT!, it closes the process as well; no more Zombies.

Maybe y'all can update the link and more importantly the name of the executable to show the change in version?  Thanks!

Copper Super Contributor

Capture.PNG

Administrator

Hi financialITguy,

Thanks very much for this information, and I'm glad to hear you resolved the issue.

The reason the link for v19.2.144 actually installs v19.2.146 is due to a last minute update we released the day after the update became available. Instead of releasing a second update, we changed all the links to actually install v19.2.146 to resolve a few issues (unrelated to the issue in this thread). This means a small amount of customers who downloaded and installed the update before we changed the link, will still be using v19.2.144.

As for the issues resolved in v19.2.146, there isn't anything specifically related to the issue you were experiencing, so I expect the issue was actually resolved by a reinstall of Act!