Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

.BAK files remain after Backup

Tuned Listener

.BAK files remain after Backup

Hello,

I have noticed that after every backup the .BAK files remain in the database files/backup directory, and in turn then gets backed up the next day, which increases the size of the ZIP file each day?

The Server C: drives have 11.1 GB free and the D: drive where the database and backups are located has 23.6 GB free and the ZIP is usually about 720 MG without BAK files included.

Any ideas, this only commenced happening about 2 weeks ago, when the BAK files got so big the backup failed as there was no space the C and D drives, but this was corrected once I removed the BAK files, now I need to remove BAK files daily?

Cheers

Tracie

Silver Contributor

Re: .BAK files remain after Backup

I may be wrong, but to my knowledge, aCT does not make .bak files.  any chance another program is doing this?  Also, you can check the act scheduler and verify the location of the backup.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Bronze Super Contributor

You should delete the .bak files and I recommend deleting those exaggerated backups too.  They are useless and just waste space.  bak's are already compressed files so they don't compress further, exasperating the problem by using/wasting more space in the backups.

What are they?  .bak files are actually staging files placed in your ACT! database's datastore BACKUP folder (along withTemplates, Reports, Queries, etc.)   .bak files are deleted when the backup operation completes successfully but they will be left behind if the backup terminates early. 

Why does it happen? The most common reason for this is limited disk space, including on the system drive (usu. C.)

How to prevent this? You may need to migrate everything to a larger hard disk (a relatively inexpensive option) but an easier fix to employ also is to download and run the free utiltiy ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com) that will free up space and clear wasted resources.  Do NOT use Windows' compression tool to free up space, this is a losing option.  Remember too that hard drive response slows significantly when files occupy over 60% of total available space, regardless of size.

Hope this helps.

Paul Marentette
ACT! Certified Consultant
paul@teamuptime.ca

SOLUTIONS FROM TEAM UPTIME

Using ACT 2009. Google led me to this thread, I have the same thing happening. Just this week I got automatic daily backups working in the ACT Scheduler. (Why I couldn't get it working before is an unrelated gripe that I hope has been fixed in newer versions of ACT.) I was inspecting the ZIP files to make sure the backups were going, and noticed they are much larger each day, and tracked that to the BAK files. The backup is set for 11 PM M-F, so far I've got three ZIP files timestamped 11:01 pm and three BAK files timestamped 11:00 pm. I've got it set to keep 10 backups, but I presumed that means 10 ZIP files, not 10 BAK files.

The hard drive has over 400 GB free space, that can't be the issue here.

The BAK files are the same size as the ADF file. I presume that is where my customer data is kept. When you say the BAK files should self-delete, do you mean they are created for the sake of getting captured into the ZIP file, and then are supposed to go away once the ZIP file has been created? That makes sense I suppose, but then why are my BAK files still there? It certainly is creating the ZIP file each day, so is the backup operation not completed successfully?

If the BAK files don't mean anything, I can just make a Windows Scheduler event to delete them each day sometime after 11 pm, but I really shouldn't have to, yes?

Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes Ray , you should NOT have to manually delete the .bak files - but if they are present after the automated process, you should and you have no choice but to delete them through a manual process....  unless you can find and correct what is failing during the backup process.

We saw it with ACT! 2008 and 2009 but not at all client sites.  Though I do have many suspicions why the .bak files remain and the backup fails, I do not have any specific, definitive reason for this as in all cases where it occurred the client upgraded to a new version, alleviating the problem ever since and opening the door to new features and capabilities available only with the current release.

Paul Marentette
ACT! Certified Consultant
paul@teamuptime.ca

SOLUTIONS FROM TEAM UPTIME
Copper Elite Contributor

Paul,

We have still seen this on ACT! 2010 and ACT! 2011 unfortunately.  The *.BAK files are actually SQL backup files that you would make if you were trying to backup your SQL instance yourself.  Why ACT! fails to delete these files after it forms the ZIP file, remaines a mystery to us.

Good news is you can safely delete them.

I would do a teste run on the ACT! ZIP backups just to make sure they are acutally working though.

just my $0.02

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic

"unless you can find and correct what is failing during the backup process."

Little chance of that, I think, as there are no log files to examine that I can see. Oh well, that's fine. It's more daily backup than I had before, adding one more kludge to this to delete the BAK files isn't a big deal. (The first kludge is a Windows Scheduler-run copy of the backup zips to another computer on the network, because the Act Scheduler is apparently incapable of saving the zip files to a network drive.)