Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Avoiding storing multiple emails from the same thread?

Copper Contributor

Avoiding storing multiple emails from the same thread?

Hi,

I have searched around he forum, but can't find anything that answers what must be a common problem for most people.

Are there any tools or settings within ACT Pro (or Outlook perhaps) that prevents database users from filing multpile copies of the same email and moreover multiple emails from the same thread?

There is always the user discipline of removing the last email from a thread when filing the next one.  In reality this takes time and personal discipline and inevitably doesn't happen.

How do others manage this?

Thanks

Nick

Re: Avoiding storing multiple emails from the same thread?

What version of Outlook/Act are you using?

When you send an e-mail, it should only attach once. when you look at these multiples, do they all have a result of "Email Sent" or do some of them say "E-mail Attachment"

Ones that say "E-mail Sent" are ones that are automatically attached and the ones that say "E-mail Attachment" are ones that are manually attached. Is it possible that your users might be trying to manually attach the emails when not seeing the history record input immediately?

Additionally are the only emails being attached outgoing messages sent by your users, or are incoming messages being recorded as well? Depending on what version of Act!/Outlook you have, some of your users may have an Outlook rule set up to record incoming messages as well, which can result in a history getting recorded each time a response to a particular email is made.

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Avoiding storing multiple emails from the same thread?

nick205 wrote:

Hi,

I have searched around he forum, but can't find anything that answers what must be a common problem for most people.

Are there any tools or settings within ACT Pro (or Outlook perhaps) that prevents database users from filing multpile copies of the same email and moreover multiple emails from the same thread?

There is always the user discipline of removing the last email from a thread when filing the next one.  In reality this takes time and personal discipline and inevitably doesn't happen.

How do others manage this?

Thanks

Nick

Nick,
I know what you mean.
Unfortunately there is no process that you can invoke to; 'only record once the complete and unique email thread'.

What I used to do is just keep an eye on the threads and then attach the last complete one. So my default setting for Act! Email attachment for Outlook used to be 'Email Subject Only' and I would actively select 'Email message and all attachments' in the outbound message window add-ins tab for Act! email integration, to attach the whole thing. That worked to limit the volume of stuff writing to history, hence saving time in searching through history at a later time to find what I wanted. Problem with that is that it is a lot of steps i.e. tedious.

However now I use Smart Inbox, which allows me to CC: one catch-all  email address, knowing that the chosen email will automatically attach the whole thread to ACT! when I choose too, much more convenient, much less clutter.   

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog